Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, last weekend I installed my caliper mounts, sealed the diff cover, and filled with oil and friction modifier.

Haha, my garage still stinks, and I didn't spill a drop!

· Registered
739 Posts
My wife always says, there is a reason they call it the "rear end". Yup, gear oil stinks.

· Registered
3,619 Posts
Funny story: A year ago I bought a low milage 03 ZO6 Corvette which had 16,720 miles on it as a daily driver. It had been serviced by the dealer and when it came time for an oil change I checked the rear diff and it was a little low. Checked my owners manual and went to the local chevy dealer an got a QT of the GM specific synthetic rear diff oil and looked at the bottle and it said " grape scented". Trust me if grapes smell like that I am no longer eating grapes, still smells like gear oil to me. Anytime I work in my shop and come into the house wife says "Take your clothes off you have been into grease again it stinks ". Had the same response from her with the GM (expensive ) "grape scented' diff lube.
CB

· FFCobra Craftsman
25,999 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 gear oil w/o any modifier w/ very good results in the usual Mustang trac-lock or whatever Ford calls it.

· Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have used Mobil 1 gear oil w/o any modifier w/ very good results in the usual Mustang trac-lock or whatever Ford calls it.
Yeah, I was going to use Mobil 1 because I realy like their products in my F-150 Lightning...much cheaper than RP, but seems to work just as well.

But, my Moser rear-end said to specifically use non-synthetic on the packing materials. I even made a call to both FFR and Moser to double check since non-synthetic is harder to find in my area. Napa was the only local store to stock it...even Ford only had synthetic.

· Registered
444 Posts
Funny story: A year ago I bought a low milage 03 ZO6 Corvette which had 16,720 miles on it as a daily driver. It had been serviced by the dealer and when it came time for an oil change I checked the rear diff and it was a little low. Checked my owners manual and went to the local chevy dealer an got a QT of the GM specific synthetic rear diff oil and looked at the bottle and it said " grape scented". Trust me if grapes smell like that I am no longer eating grapes, still smells like gear oil to me. Anytime I work in my shop and come into the house wife says "Take your clothes off you have been into grease again it stinks ". Had the same response from her with the GM (expensive ) "grape scented' diff lube.
CB
Im throwing out all my red wine I made!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.