Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Supreme Cobra Commander
9,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Autometer gages and starting the wiring. Just a few questions tha I haven't been able to find out.
1.The dash was pre cut at FF, which gauges in which holes?
2.What color lights; green, red or white?
3.Approx how many pins would be needed in a connector to make the dash removable?
Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

It's up to you and your tastes / preferences as to where you put things. I chose to put the speedo in the more visible location (not as obscured by the steering wheel spokes) since the top of the tach is all I need to see clearly. Think about how you'll scan the gauges while driving.

·
Supreme Cobra Commander
9,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the gauges white when illuminated or another color?

·
7,676 Posts
The gauges have little bulb "condoms" that slip over the light bulb. They have red, green and blue.

Ray

·
Tropically Twisted
1,727 Posts
We used these connectors. We used a 16 pin and currently are using all but 3. (We need some expansion room)

If you want to make sure you have room to add stuff, go for a 24 pin one. If you go with these, make SURE you buy the pin extractor. It is invaluable.

HTH,

Will

·
Supreme Cobra Commander
9,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Willspeed, Would an 18 ga wire be sufficient for some of the ignition circuits?

·
Tropically Twisted
1,727 Posts
Aside from that AMP connector, we used a 12ga. trailer connector to bring constant 12v to the dash and for the ammeter. I'd suggest using 16ga for most of the signal wiring. 18ga just seems a bit on the small side to me.

Cheers,

Will

PS: If you do go with the AMP connectors, the best way to solder the pins on to the wire is by inserting the wire in the pin, bending the little tabs down, then heating the pin and letting the heat draw the solder into the pin... and you don't want to goober *any* solder on the outer surfaces of the pin, or it won't go into the connector! Don't ask me how I figured this out. :rolleyes:

·
Supreme Cobra Commander
9,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Know about goobering pins with solder too, don't ask me how I know either. :D

·
Ford Junkie
1,670 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about putting the large guage wires thru a connector. You can unscrew the ignition and headlight switches and pull them out of the dash before pulling it out. So just gauge wiring, indicators, and turn signal wire to contend with. Gotta have connectors that will carry the proper amps for your circuits so look at the ratings carefully.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The tach and speedo are the Phantom Ultra-lites sold by FFR ... 3-3/8" I think. They fit in the stock dash cutout without removing the extra ring of metal. I used the green rubbers, but I had to order extra ones to get enough for all the bulbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts