Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

paul mastroianni (fellow ex-new yorker) from riverside was kind enough to sell me a gas tank filler tube, and deliver it personally. we had a nice hour long chat about our cars. he explained that you have to cut around the tube, but now what do i do with the rubber insert part? the manual doesn't say anything about it. does it pull thru?

also, what to do with the breather on the gas tank? i have a carb, do i still need to use a vapor cannister?

·
FFCobra Captain
11,688 Posts
I left the rubber tube in the center intact. Once I cut through the metal, I pulled the whole thing apart to make sure I cleaned out any metal shavings. Then pushed it back together.

I don't think the breather in the tank is an EFI thing...it's there to alleviate a vacuum from building in the tank as gas gets used.

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
I figured that the breather connection (white plastic cap) would require a small hose that would run to the filler cap area. It appears to be a vent. I put a plastic cap on the smallerof the two fuel supply lines as a carb only requires a supply wthout a return. Not planing any vapor canister... Not 100% sure about any of this but would love to hear more about the rubber tube in the center?

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
There is no need to run a vapor cannister with a carb or with EFI. Just run a small hose from the vent on the tank and tie wrap it to the side of the filler tube. When it gets up near the gas cap, loop it around so it is facing down so that no water can get in.

Although it is not needed, some people still use the cannister, as some have said that they get a smell of gasoline in the garage without it. I dont have the cannister and havent noticed any smell coming from the vent tube.

HTH

Tom

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
Follow Tom's advice and if you have a gas smell in the garage, get a small charcoal filter from a pet shop and attach it to the end of the hose. That will take care of the smell. Of course you could always use the original canister if you can place it in a hidden spot.

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
I made my own out of a short piece of 1 1/2" PVC with a cap on each end. One cap I drilled a bunch of small hole for it to breath, the other cap I drilled and screwed in a tube nipple for the vent hose to go on too. Inside I stuffed in some aquarium spun glass wool with charchol granuals in the center.
Bob Mac
FFR3981

·
601 Posts
Bob,

How long was you pipe? :eek: Ok, seriously how long did you make it?

Man that sounds stupid.

Mick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts