Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the Hood Cylinders on my car twice and Paid something like $ 20.00 each.

Today I found a site that has them for $ 3.00 each.
I don't know this company and I haven't ordered yet.

They have a bunch of stuff.

www.surpluscenter.com

jack

Just looked again I was wrong, they don't fit my car. Oh well I tried.

[ February 10, 2007, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: oldman ohio ]

·
Premium Member
17,892 Posts
But you're on the right track.

The extreme cold killed both my hood props. I called around town, and couldn't find a direct replacement. Then I did a google search with "suspa" and the part number. I found a number of computer places selling them as used surplus items. Apparently, they are a common item on electronic and medical equipment lids/covers/whatever.

I ordered 4 at $4 each yesterday.

I was going to post this info as soon as I got them and had them installed.

·
section 8
5,135 Posts
I bought the hinge kit and then elected to eliminate the struts #1 because they always failand #2 the never showed up! I'm going prop rod . After 20+ years of getting popped in the back of the head by bad ones I've had enough Bob

·
Cobra Crazy
845 Posts
Here is another option.

I had the gas shock on before paint and I noticed my hoood starting to bow or bend up at the shock from the pressure. Others have had the same issue here on the forum so I decided to use a prop rod.

The Lokar Universal 6 Level Hood Prop / Polished (491-40102) is exactly the same lenght as the gas shock and can use the same mounting points. The only change required is the drill out the upper FFR bracket post and replace it with the Lokar supplied post. The posts are a different diameter.

It works great. Very easy install and no more problems with gas shocks or bowed hoods.

·
Premium Member
9,693 Posts
I made my own. 1/4" stainless steel rod, and a pair of Heim ends.

·
7,134 Posts
Originally posted by calicoco:
When the cold weather is gone, will the gas cylinders work again?
Yes , most likely .

In very cold weather the gas just doesn't work as well....and i think the seals may shrink too thus ...

In time they will need replacing...

·
Cobra Crazy
845 Posts
One other thing to note about the Lokar prop rod I used is that it does not need a clip for storage. When your ready to close the hood just give the top half a quarter turn and it slides within itself. To lock the hood open lift the hood and give it a quarter turn the opposite direction and it locks at six different available heights. It simply slides open and closed. I used one on my trunk also.

·
Cobra Crazy
845 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts