Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice from people who have either one of these two lifts.
I have been looking to buy a lift for some time but don't know which one to pick...
I can't have what a I really want since I don't have the ceiling height, and I don't plan on notching the ceiling.
The lift would mostly be used for my Roadster, a future possible build, my wife's CR-V and I'm sure neither would take my 2012 F-150.

MaxJax Portable Two Post Lifting System by Dannmar
Atlas Kwik Bay 7,000 LB. Mid Rise Lift

I like the Max Jack idea as it leaves the complete underneath of the car free, but I don't like the locking system when jacked, also worried about the columns collapsing inward.

In all honesty I would feel safer under the mid-raise lift but would have a lot of lost space...That is the reason I would choose the one with 2x cylinders with the free center.

Again, it bugs me to spend that kind of money on a limited lift when i can get a full size lift for cheaper, but I only have 98" ceiling

If you have pics of a roadster on either would be great.
Thanks
T

·
Registered
261 Posts
Why don't you go with a garage pro 8000. It's a 4 post lift but the columns are only 83 inches tall. You don't have to raise it all the way up and then if you move and get a garage with taller ceilings you can use the full lifting height.

I just bought one from Greg Smith and will be setting it up over Christmas.

·
Geek
1,402 Posts
In order to use this particular midrise lift with the Roadster you'll have to also buy the $350 support bars that straddle the lifting ramps and provide inboard lift points - reason being the main tubular rails of the Roadster are too narrow for the base lifting ramps.

I've looked at a bunch of midrise lifts and as far as I can tell it's real hard to find one that works for the Roadster and normal unibody cars with spread out lift points and has a decent amount of open space under the car to work on. With a certain amount of regret I'm now considering a normal 4 post lift.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
This might work if you can find one. I also have a low clearence in my workshop and some where a few years back I saw a drive on ramp style lift that was 2 ft. tall on the front and once your car was on this lift you could raise the rear with a floor jack and lock it into place. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciared. I'm getting tired of jacking and blocking, jacking and blocking etc. to get under my Coupe as well as all my other vehicles for oil changes, lube and bolt checks etc.
CB

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why don't you go with a garage pro 8000. It's a 4 post lift but the columns are only 83 inches tall. You don't have to raise it all the way up and then if you move and get a garage with taller ceilings you can use the full lifting height.

I just bought one from Greg Smith and will be setting it up over Christmas.

I have considered a 4 post, like mentioned above it could be reusable in a future garage that hopefully I will have one day.
This would make sense money wise, but was turned of by the fact I will be tripping in it all the time, and jacking could be a pita????

In order to use this particular midrise lift with the Roadster you'll have to also buy the $350 support bars that straddle the lifting ramps and provide inboard lift points - reason being the main tubular rails of the Roadster are too narrow for the base lifting ramps.

I've looked at a bunch of midrise lifts and as far as I can tell it's real hard to find one that works for the Roadster and normal unibody cars with spread out lift points and has a decent amount of open space under the car to work on. With a certain amount of regret I'm now considering a normal 4 post lift.
You are right about the the extra support bars. I was planning on ordering some 3/16 "C" channel instead and installing some rubber pads.
Also using these types of lifts, I would need to make some wood ramps since the frame of the roadster sits below the height of the lift.
I believe the 4 post wouldn't have that problem...

T.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Greg Smiths

I just ordered and installed a two post 9000# Base Plate Lift from Greg Smiths. I added the extra bars for strength. $2000 total...can't beat it.

It was easy to Install, will lift anything from my snowmobile to roadster to backhoe. The quality is excellent, the installation instructions a little bit to be desired.

I currently have a 12.5' ceiling, but went with the base plate design as my next garage (at retirement lake house) will not have as high of a ceiling.

I did not want a drive on lift, as in most cases I want to remove the tires for brake or suspension work etc....

The only down side that I found so far, is that due to the low ground clearance of the roadster, I need to jack the rearend up with floor jack to get the arms underneath the frame rails.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have one from Backyardbuddy.com and it has been great for over 8 years. Solid and reliable.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,413 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,507 Posts
I know most people like to buy new but have you looked on craigslist. I was able to find a great 12000# 4post ALM alignment lift with 2 rolling jacks which make it the best of both worlds for $900 from a local shop who was upgrading to newer equipment.

·
6,279 Posts
If I had known the value of a four post list, I would have bought one years ago. You really need the bridge jack below that goes across the ramps to do brake and suspension work but well worth the $$s

You can't do an accurate alignment on a 2 post as the suspension needs to be loaded. Also don't have to worry about cement slab loading as it's the same as your car. 2 post is 2x the loading per same square footing.

Do your home work on the accessories. Mine came with four moving dollies, 4 drip trays, two entrance ramps and slidable solid cross member for a hydraulic jack. I organized a group buy for 10 units for my local friends. I negotiated delivery for 10 for same delivery charge as one and divided the total shipping by ten for each buyer. Instead of $800 shipping, each buyer paid $80.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for everybody's input.
I have ordered a Max Jax for my garage. I wish I had a taller ceiling but I don't....
So I fell this is the option that fills my needs the best.
Again, thanks for the advice.
Thierry

I've had my Max Jax for a couple years now and use it on a regular basis.

Fantastic tool and love the portability. Breaks down and sets up in about 15 minutes.

I've had my roadster, Datsun, Mazda wagon and Focus all on it with no issues. Not at the same time of course:001_tongue:

Dean

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/43-off-topic-discussions/275847-im-love.html
Dean
Since you have one of these, what dimensions did you use when you drilled the anchors in? I assume you are using the 4" round tubes in the front when lifting the Roadster. They are fairly far in, so i guess you need to extend the front legs a fair amount...
Since you use them for many cars, what was your sweet spot.

Thanks

T

·
Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,305 Posts
Ye new toy

Great news à new toy for the new year!

Good for T Enjoy

Jfb

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lift Installed

I just wanted to give an update on my lift debate and wanted to post pictures for those that may ever have a similar dilemma.
I decided on the Max Jax. I just finished installing it today so I didn't get to work with it, but up to now I'm very satisfied. The only thing I will be changing is the hydro hoses on the ground. Since I'm not planning on removing the post every time, I will get longer hoses and run them up and over the car via ceiling.
As suggested by Dean, I installed them at 120" apart.

·
Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,305 Posts
Looking good!!!!

Looking good T

Its official I AM JEALOUS!!!!!!!

:sneaky2::w00t::evil:

Mk4

·
Albany ny
410 Posts
Love the lift!! I want! Could you tell me how high are the arms when the lift is fully raised. Wondering if I could pull another car in, under another.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Congrats Thierry ! Very nice setup ! Now enjoy !
P.S. with the 30 opened we are now close to each other !

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.