Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you would like ideas a little more detailed than 'concrete', then check out the other thread that is active right now regarding this subject.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Epoxy is a wonderful floor - will be VERY slippery when wet, but that's easily solved by adding anti-slip additive into the epoxy. An epoxy floor is expensive and a big job to do yourself if you do it well. It will tolerate fluid spills (oil, coolant, etc.) but it's not perfect. Poor surface prep and/or application will result in peeling, hot tire pick-up, etc.

Concrete sealer (and otionally densifier) is a pretty good way to get a floor that has some resistance to oil, water for a (relatively) low cost.

Other choices include plastic tiles (Racedeck, Swisstrax, etc.) - they have their good/bad points also. Finally, there are options like ceramic tile, vinyl, etc. Everybody says, "You need to figure out what you're going to use your floor for.", and it's good advice.

My existing floor has industrial epoxy - it's 10 years old and has held up well. I applied it myself and it was a lot of work but it was worth it. The one downside is that welding or cutting (plasma or oxy/acetylene torch) damages epoxy. I'm in the process of building a new shop and I'll be using epoxy on part of it (general work area) and densifier/sealer on part (welding/fab area).

If you want to go down the rabbit hole on flooring, spend some on the garagejournal.com forums - lots of people/knowledge/experience there.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Here are a few pics from the epoxy project I did on my current floor. You'll notice that in the last picture, the floor isn't as glossy as the previous - that's the anti-slip additive. This epoxy has 3 steps -primer, color and clear (which is where you mix the anti-slip additive)

Wheel Tire Plant Car Automotive tire
Floor Art Flooring Gas Event
Flooring Floor Machine Ceiling Glass
Hall Floor Wood Flooring Shelving

Attachments

Reactions: Hoosier

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts