Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys -

does anyone have the interlocking garage tiles that make a garage all race-looking?
I would like to either buy some of those tiles or paint my floor and before doing so, I wanted to get some feedback from you guys. Any tips on how to save money and make a nice race garage that fits a Cobra?

Thanks, Chris

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
Tiles were out of my budget.

I used H&C Concrete Sealer from Sherwin Williams. It comes in a ton of colors and it is holding up very nicely. This stuff is about $22 a gallon, I used 5 gallons on 900 square feet.

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Jeez, 2001, that garage is nicer than most of my house! Very impressive! Color me jealous.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
I went with the $.99 vinyl tiles.

If I crack one (try not to drop your hammer), I just peel it up and put down a new one.

I got the self adhesive kind and even with a very clean floor (should probably be sealed first) they don't stick all that well. They will buckle and lift a little if you put jack stands or floor jack on with nothing to distribute weight. I welded flat plates on the bottom of the jack stands and use a drip pan with the edges cut off under the floor jack.

I haven't found any chemical that destroys them yet or even makes them perma-sticky.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably use an epoxy coating but every time I clean the floor and get a good look at it, I still don't think you can beat the checkerboard look.

Sam's Club has good prices on their garage tiles from time to time and it wouldn't cost much more than my 'low buck' solution but I don't remember them having any colors I liked.

HTH

·
Premium Member
10,077 Posts
I got these at Sams Club. Not as good as racedeck tiles, but way cheaper. I think I paid around $1.50 per tile. (sq ft) I'm happy with them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey 2001c5 Nice garage but I would get rid of those drop lights and switch to flourescent. A buddy of mine was changing a fuel pump on his wifes car and had the light under the car to see. He said gas splatered on the bulb and a huge fire erupted. His son saved his life by pulling him out from under the car. He was off work for a year skin graphs etc. Garage and car burnt to the ground. I don't mean to rip on your set up just my 2 cents.
PS: garage looks sweeeeet.
RAT FINK COBRA

·
Junior Charter Member
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy Mac -

2001C5 - Just Sweet, that's all I can say.

Techno Tim - can't beat checkerboard look, but not sure if I wouldn't get aggrevated at the tiles pealing off all the time. I think I go with the SAMs Club joice.

Stinson Pilot - like the look. Where do I find the tiles at SAMs??? Have never seen them there.
HELP??!!!

·
Premium Member
10,077 Posts
Their garage tiles are available online only. They don't always have them.

·
Junior Charter Member
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it their "Modular Floor Tile"?

·
Junior Charter Member
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[No message]

·
Premium Member
10,077 Posts
Yup...

40 sq ft for $59.88

·
Junior Charter Member
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet. Will check them out and order.
Thanks for the tip.

·
Junior Charter Member
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, one more thing. Any problems with water, oil, or whatever running in between the tiles?

And, did you have them in while you were building the car? Any problems with jack stands, etc.?

Thanks, Chris

·
Premium Member
10,077 Posts
I haven't spilled enough of anything to be a real problem. I'm sure some could get between the tiles. If it's water, shouldn't be a problem.

I'm still building my car. Jack stands, just cut some plywood to set under them.

Got the info from one of our forum members.

·
Junior Charter Member
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sweet - good luck with the build.
Thanks again for the info.

·
Official Member of the Unofficial "First 500 Club"
3,007 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
if you want to go high end, this stuff is suppose to be great and is 'do it yourself' Depending on what you do, run just over $1sqft. You can do checkerboard - takes a bit more work and few more $$ (maybe $1.50/sqft), but is cool.

Am planning this for my 3 car garage.

http://www.ucoatit.com/main.htm

·
Charter Member
201 Posts
OK, dark glasses ON. Provide your own puke bag! This is my Lego garage and always gets a laugh from first time viewers. I just thought, "What the heck" the car is outrageous, why shouldn't the garage be too.

I went the Sam's Club route. It works out to about $1.50/sq ft as opposed the Racedeck which is 3x as much.

I installed it in January and it was fairly easy when I got the technique of installing two adjacent sides concurrently. I don't know how to describe the process except that you want to smash the remaining tile with a large hammer until you get your technique. The floor expanded when the weather warmed up and has had to be re-cut to take out the hills.

Not surprisingly, the colors are impractical for dirt hiding. I have yet to find a cleaner to retain the shiny-shiny without slipping. It appears to be quite robust but it was installled after my build so has not had long-term jack stand use. The back of the tile seems adequately patterned to withstand them though. Anyway, they're not difficult to replace if you crush/break a tile. No water problems so far. I've used a wet carpet cleaner a couple of times and water hasn't leaked back from underneath the tile nor is there a musty smell in the garage.

You can only buy complete boxes of any one color from Sam's and they don't take back partial boxes. Unopened boxes can be returned to a store even though they can only be purchased online.

Here's the Sam's link

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=360846

Here's a design template:

http://www.florcatalog.com/service/flor/configurator.html

The design template isn't as good as some I've seen out there but I can't remember/find the one I originally used.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts