Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thanks to all that post in this forum, the information has been invaluable and I can usually find what I need by searching but I need to ask for advice on this please:

I was getting ready to rivet the rear cockpit panel into place, but had not drilled for any fasteners adjacent to the upper 3/4" tube in the trunk. I could not find any information on whether this area was left loose or not, but I have a gap of 1/8" to 1/4" across the top, and 1/8" on the sides (the lower half of the installation seems fine). I work in the aircraft industry where gaps between structural components are not allowed. Am I overthinking this: is this area left unfastened, is this normal, do I shim the gaps, or am I missing something else? The attached photo's are rotated 90 degree CCW from the normal view.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I certainly did not have a gap here. If you leave that fitting the body over it wll be very difficult (if possible) later. The rolled front edge of the body had to fit just in front of that piece, and even 1/8" will cause you trouble later? Is it as simple as pushing it back and riveting it in or is it more than that?

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
It appears that F5 didn't get enough angle in the bend for the rear cockpit aluminum. You definitely want that aluminum secured to the upper 3/4" tube, because as bpalmer says you'll run into problems fitting the body if you don't. As he suggests, can you just push the aluminum flush?

John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I agree, the angle and location of the bend seem off. If I try to push and clamp it into place the upper part of the panel is very wavy, and the gap at the ends is still at 1/8". This isn't the first issue with an aluminum panel I've had but FFR has been great to work with. I'll send the pictures to FFR and see what they say. Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts