Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the G96/96 box out of a 2004 GT3. Have been searching this and other forums to find what modifications I need to make to, in the first place, run it inverted, and secondly to fit the GTM application.

There is a lot to read, mostly on the G50, which seems like a fairly easy mod with the only (?) must being “swapping” breather and filler locations, and slightly overfilling.

Of course the G96 is a cable shifter, and needs a custom made rear mount, that's the obvious stuff :).

Now to the interesting parts, what do I need to do with the box itself?
1. Internally (oiling issues)
2. The external pump/cooler modifications?
3. Gearing? The GT3 should have taller gears than a few of the other G96’s but is that enough?
4. Anthing else needed or desirable?

There seems to be a lot of knowledgable guys in this community.
GTW my GTM was picked up this week so I still have a few weeks until it has crossed the atlantic...

Thanks,
Thomas Andersson, Sweden

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Hi Thomas,

So the G96/96 is a rear wheel drive gearbox? I thought it was all wheel drive, meaning that it would have a drive spline/shaft sticking out of the rear...

What sort of mount does it have? Doughnut or cross bar?

Where were you able to locate such a new box?

This is really interesting to me. I thought we were pretty much limited to the G50's.

·
Newby
61 Posts
I'm not an expert on the subject of gearboxes in general, but my understanding regarding GT3 gearboxes is as follows -

check the final drive ratio: you don't want the 4:1 set up as the gear is too short for a V8, and they wear out quickly besides.

The oil pump is fine as is, but the pickup needs to be relocated due to inversion. Some people use an electric pump instead, probably plumbed to pick up at the old breather location.

Gears are all swap-able. I've a 1st gear that is somewhat longer than what you would find in in a standard G50 box. My builder (Brian Coppin) also installed a pretty long 6th gear, about .75:1. He's at BMCG in Ohio.

Not definitive by any stretch, but I'm sure there's an expert out there who can help.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Brandwood makes a shifter for the GT3. Do a search for that box, a couple of people have them so it can be done. Also contact the vendors that do Porsche stuff, Eric @ carquip and Roger at CMS. HTH, cheers Richard.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

Michael:
Yes, the G96/96 is RWD. A picture of the box is attached below.
I found it at a dismatling yard in the UK (Douglas Valley Breakers).

The G96 boxes for the Porsche 996 Turbo/GT2 and the GT3 are developments emerging from the G50. G96's from other 996's will not work,not "out of the box" at least. They do not have the G50 style bellhousing so the adapter kit to the LSx won't work. Also, I think, they were a development derived from VAG (VW, Audi...) and said to be weaker...

Also I totally missed the following "sticky" post which has links to some info about transmissions (and other good stuff). Don't miss it!
http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196139

/Thomas

Attachments

·
Can't decide!!!!
301 Posts
May want to give the guys at F5 a call. I believe they have a G96/88 in their LS7 car. As well as using Erik or Roger, both great resources with access to any parts you may need.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back at it

So, my box is now spread out on the garage floor. :scared:

Back to the oiling, there are large passages in the new bottom (Porsche top) allowing the oil to flow fairly "free" between sections.
I’m a little concerned it will ALL flow to the back (the Porsche front) of the trans during acceleration leaving the diff in the air! Should I make the passages smaller?

Now, to the spray oiling/oil cooling system. I was planning on using the Porsche inlet and spray bar. If I were to use an electric pump setup (and an inline filter?) with the current vent in the diff housing as oil pick up point (1” above trans floor) the above issue is again possibly a problem! Sucking air is no good, right…

Is there a better way to do it, like pick oil up in the new rear end and just feed it forward through the cooler into the diff housing via the old vent? This leaves me without spray of course…

BTW my GTM kit arrived a couple of weeks ago, wow what a feeling it was opening the crate up! Happy building everyone!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Here is the deal with the G96.96

Hey there everyone,

There are several modifications that need to be done to the GT3 gearbox in order to make it work correctly.

1) the pick up tube needs to be reworked so that it gets adequate saturation while running in the inverted position.

2) the vent, fill, drain all need to be rearranged.

These are 2 wheel drive gearboxes, btw. There are several other things that would need attention, and it would probably be better to chat about this over the phone if you have some time.

Feel free to give me a call and I will be happy to discuss some of the the other things that we usually do. It would take me a bit to type it all out here and it is just easier to describe the changes to you.

Always here to help,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell (use my cell number)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Erik,

Thanks, I will call you.
Tomorrow (in the window in time you and me are up and running at the same time as Sweden is like 7-8h ahead) it´s my daughters 10th birthday so I'll get back to you friday or monday if that's ok.
You wouldn't happen to be a Skype user (to eliminate cost on the phone call)?

All the best!
/Thomas

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thomas,

I have a bracket designed to support the G96 at the rear. Let me know if you need one fabbed. Might be able to scare up some pictures if you want to do it yourself.

Jim O

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jim,

I think shipping cost could be a show stopper. Pictures are always nice, could you post them here? I think maybe others could be interested as well.

/Thomas

·
Premium Member
11,936 Posts
Thanks Jim,

I think shipping cost could be a show stopper. Pictures are always nice, could you post them here? I think maybe others could be interested as well.

/Thomas
We're not talking about the whole trans sub-frame here. It's just a small formed steel bracket that welds to the existing FFR subframe. I'm guessing it would fit in a shoe-box. Very nice mount! The cast-alum porshce mount bolts right up to it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jim, I checked the shipping cost and it seems I can get away with like $30. Will let you know if I need it when I get to that stage.

I had a good chat with Erik the other night (his mid day I guess:) ). On his recommendation I will scrap the Porsche oil pump and cooler and go with an electric setup. We had a good discussion concerning clutches and he also recommended to make some improvements to the shitf hold mechanisms and change some more wear and tear bits than I was going to as the box is already spread out on the floor...
So now Erik is putting together a list of items needed for me to order.

I can only join into the same tune as most people on here, give Erik @ Carquip a call, thanks!

BTW, I saw Earl's inline oil filters on anplumbing.com, has anyone used those or similar in the trans cooler circuit? Erik suggested an internal filter, but it would be nice to have it servicable. Does the pump have to push through the filter or can it be mounted before the pump on the "suction side"?

/Thomas

1 - 14 of 14 Posts