Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Tried to start the GTM for the first time today. But the starter doesn´t seem to have enough strength to turn the engine around with the spark plugs in place. I tried the starter in air and without the plugs in and the engine turns.

The starter is branded Brise 763509AXAC, tried a search on their homepage but no luck.

Anyone had this problem before? Any ideas or tips on a good starter for the short G50?

I tried a fresh battery directly connected to the starter but no difference.

Engine is a slightly tuned Ls1. Shaved heads, BTR st2 cam w, titanium retainers and springs, Fast LSXR intake and headers. Around 10.5:1 CR.

Thanks
/Johan

·
Registered
24 Posts
My starter was sluggish as well. Used a good (Odyssey) battery (buy a Li Ion if you can afford it) but what helped was taking the ground from the starter directly to the battery Neg (-) terminal rather than ground the starter to the frame. You will probably need a 6-8 foot ground cable. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My starter was sluggish as well. Used a good (Odyssey) battery (buy a Li Ion if you can afford it) but what helped was taking the ground from the starter directly to the battery Neg (-) terminal rather than ground the starter to the frame. You will probably need a 6-8 foot ground cable. Hope this helps.
great info.. thanks
i will install larger wires tomorrow. Is the Optima redtop battery a good choise? They are available in town so i can get one tomorrow.

/Johan

·
Premium Member
12,716 Posts
We've seen a ton of GTM's come in with the Optima/Odyssey/Braille batteries. They work great when they are brand new, but they don't seem to tolerate sitting for an extended period or getting drained down to 50% more than a couple times. I don't know of any GTM owner that got more than a year or two of life out of one of those type of batteries. I've got a whole stack of them thrown into a pile outside my shop.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shane, too bad I didn’t read your reply before i got my hands on a redtop. Anyways I installed new cables and the battery and got 160rpm on cranking. Fired her up for the first time yesterday.

Thank you both for replying! Great help

/Johan

·
Premium Member
12,716 Posts
I think the redtop will be fine as long as you keep it constantly fully charged and don't allow it to get too far discharged or let it sit partially discharged for any period of time. Glad you got it running!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,
Tried to start the GTM for the first time today. But the starter doesn´t seem to have enough strength to turn the engine around with the spark plugs in place. I tried the starter in air and without the plugs in and the engine turns.

The starter is branded Brise 763509AXAC, tried a search on their homepage but no luck.

Anyone had this problem before? Any ideas or tips on a good starter for the short G50?

I tried a fresh battery directly connected to the starter but no difference.

Engine is a slightly tuned Ls1. Shaved heads, BTR st2 cam w, titanium retainers and springs, Fast LSXR intake and headers. Around 10.5:1 CR.

Thanks
/Johan
On average, a fully charged battery will have appox 12.8 vdc... a bit less is not a problem, but below 12.4 it's time to R&R it. WHILE RUNNING, the average alternator will supply a modicum of 14.1 vdc. When "cold", the voltage can go up to "near" 14.5vdc, but anything below 14.0 shows a problem. Also... the battery voltage should not DROP to below around 10.5vdc or so, DURING cranking. The fact that you have "nothing", typically means you don't have: + to the starter switch, solenoid, starter, or beyond the clutch switch... check all those.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We've seen a ton of GTM's come in with the Optima/Odyssey/Braille batteries. They work great when they are brand new, but they don't seem to tolerate sitting for an extended period or getting drained down to 50% more than a couple times. I don't know of any GTM owner that got more than a year or two of life out of one of those type of batteries. I've got a whole stack of them thrown into a pile outside my shop.
What is the battery of choice assuming low mileage driving? I have a red top that is about 18 months old and is now showing signs of failing.

·
Premium Member
12,716 Posts
Well.....my battery of choice is the cheapest lead-acid battery that will fit. For a car that is likely to sit for extended periods, no battery is probably going to last much more than a few years. I'd much rather replace a $100 Wally World battery every 2 or 3 years than replace a $250 battery every 18 months.......

For our daily drivers, we normally get about 7-8 years out of a cheap Wal-Mart battery. On the other hand, in my Kubota tractor that gets used about 4 times per year, I get about 3 years out of that same battery. Same with our lawn mower.....even though I remove the battery in the fall and store it in our basement so that it doesn't freeze, those batteries usually only last about 3 years. I don't think it matters if it is gel-cell or lead-acid.....if the battery sits unused for weeks or months on end, they just don't last long....but from my experience, the lead-acid will tolerate that 100x better than a gel-cell.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have to lift this thread again. The car starts fine.. Cold, but once hot the problem is the same. This will not do, so the starter has to go. Can anyone please give me a good recommendation on a new gear reduction starter that works fine everytime? I have the older type G50 transaxle (g50/00) where the starter ring is on the pressure plate.

Thanks
/Johan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts