Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Certified Mad Scientist
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you running the FFMetal FWD Firewall and a Windsor-based engine, how much room is there between the firewall and the back of the engine? I need to know how much further forward I can move the firewall.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I am running a 408 and could go another 3.5" forward without a problem. After that, things start to get real tight.

Here's a pic, not great but will give you an idea.

HTH,

Rick

·
Certified Mad Scientist
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would another 3.5" still give you room to install the engine (and pull it back out) without banging the firewall up too badly? I want a lot of room for stuff in there, but I don't want to make it too hard to work around the back of the engine.

Got any pics?

Eric

·
Certified Mad Scientist
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
D'oh! I posted up before my wireless laptop in the garage could load the pic! Thanks, Rick!

Eric

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
It would really depend on how you install and pull it, i.e. trans attached/not attached, how high you get it off the ground, etc. You can do a lot if you use a leveler. Personally, my leveler didn't have long enough chains so I did it the hard way with a lift plate as you can see in the pic. If the firewall were any further forward, it would be tough with a plate.

HTH,

Rick

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
TXBLU

I know others will chime in but I think if you put the fire wall forward kit more forward it may interfer with the wind sheild wipre assembly. If you choose to or need to have them.
HTH
Jon D.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
My fire wall is right up to the back side of the step where the body lip drops. There still about 3" behind the block/intake. Engine/trans went in no problem. Not to mention I did it alone, a couple times during the build.
Someone with a small block post the distance from the front x-member to the back of the block/intake for a comparison.
Here's my FE. Wipers, heater, glovebox all behind the firewall. And as for getting back there to work, what's back there to work on??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts