Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...on the way to the car show this morning. It just quit! :confused1:

It was like someone turned off the ignition. Wouldn't restart, had plenty of fuel pressure. Never acted odd prior to this event. Flat bed driver was kinda giddy over what he was towing. Nice guy and took good care of the little car all the way back home. This is the one car show I really look forward to. :sad: Oh well, out to the garage to diagnose.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
Hey Dan, thats a bummer! At least it was treated with care on the ride home. Sounds like it could be a TFI failure. Usually it will refire once it cools off but it wont last long at all. Try it cold to see if it will start. If not it could be something else, possibly a loose wire or bad ground. Check for spark and go from there. Hope this helps!

Mike

·
Senior Charter Member
2,408 Posts
Been there, done that. Hate that "ride of shame"...

Ok, my guess is the dizzy gear pin let go.

Good luck getting back on the road.

Drive on!

Here's proof

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this. I just went through this with my…..Ok, I’ll say it, …..Chevy pick-up. (what can I say, the truck came with the wife) It was the pick-up coil that in turn fried the control module. Just driving down the street and it was like someone turned off the ignition.
I’m glad your lift home knew about what he was dealing with and treated it so. I’ve heard too many horror stories about that stuff.
You said you have good fuel press. I’m like Mike, check the spark at the plugs and go from there. Let us know what you find out.
Best of luck with your toy.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I was watching the tow truck driver, I had a guy drive by slowly and said, "Hey, that tow is going to cost you. I'll give you five bucks for it as it sits." Yeah.......I don't think so. :001_tongue:

So back to the diagnosis, I pulled the cap on the dizzy and spun the motor and it spun as well. That's good! Then I pulled one of the plugs and reconnected it to the spark plug wire and laid it on the rocker cover to see if I had spark. The motor started! Sounded really weird with one plug out pumping air. Anyway, I think you're right Mike. It sounds like a TFI on its way out. I have a spare but I have to run to the auto parts store to get the conductive or whatever-it-is grease. Might at well pick up another TFI module while I'm there. UGH.....why did this have to happen today? :sad:

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, thought I had a TFI module but I don't. Anyone know what the part number is for one of these?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
Try to get a motorcraft one, the wells or aftermarket ones they sell at the discount places dont usually last as long. Just tell em you need it for a 90 Mustang 5.0 you'll also need the "special" tool to take the old one off. Its a really thin walled socket to fit in the holes. Be sure to use the dielectric grease as it helps insulate it from the heat. Hope thats it and youre back on the road. Keep us posted.

Mike

·
2010 FFCars Graduate
3,027 Posts
X2 on the Motorcraft modules. They always lasted longer than the aftermarket ones on every Ford I've owned that used it.
There was one I never changed. On my 93 F-150 the TFI module was mounted in a heat sink looking thing over on the fender. I've often wondered if that set-up could be adapted to the Mustang EFI 302 crowd.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Greetings Dan
There may be another gremlin hiding here.
I had an immediate quit this summer also. 302 w/ Mass-Flo. Mallory dizzy and coil. The immediate attempt at diagnosis and repair was the TFI. Didn't solve the problem. My fix ultimately required coil replacement. Now I carry a replacement TFI module, coil, dizzy and a couple spark plug wires, along with a bigger collection of tools. My stop resulted in a 500 mile long tow on a uhaul trailer. Hope your back on the road soon.
Cheers
A

Attachments

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, replaced the TFI module and re-timed as I had to rotate the dizzy to get the TFI module off. After about 45 minutes of idling in the driveway, all seems to be swell now. My wife and I are going over to a friends for dinner tonight. The little car better behave. I do not want a repeat of this morning. BTW, I used the TCP that came with the new module.

Thanks for the help guys. On the road again...... :wave:

Mike, BTW my TFI module was held on with Phillips head machine screws.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,976 Posts
I am pretty sure it is thermal conductive paste. A year or so ago we did a recall on a hybrid ecu where we replaced one layer of a 3 layer ecu.It was bolted to a flat part of the aluminum housing. They supplied a special grease which the tech instructer said was zinc oxide. Same as that white paste we used to use ages ago to prevent sunburn. But about double the % zinc oxide content.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought I would bring this thread back for an update and also help someone else out who may have the same issue in the future.

Well, after replacing the TFI module with the Ford OEM part, the problem seemed to go away.......not so lucky. So I went and ordered a new coil thinking that was the issue. Again, it ran fine for a while then would just quit. Luckily through every one of these incidents where it quits, it would start right back up in about 10 -15 minutes and run like nothing ever happened. Well it happened again only this time it quit while the wife and I were on the interstate. (I will say this, the little car can sure coast a long way.) Having semi's blow by us at 80 miles an hour was not making the wife feel at ease though. Anyway, it finally started again and home we went.

The next day I called Mallory (distributor manufacturer) and talked to their tech service and explained what the issue was and what I did to resolve it. They asked me to send the distributor back to them along with a check for $34 to cover the cost of the repair and the return shipment since it was out of warranty (5 years old). I just got the distributor back today and it is a brand new unit. Not only did I get a new dizzy, they sent my check back as well. I would have had no problem paying for the service but that was very nice customer service. It did take about a month from start to finish but in our e-mail's back and forth, they must have had an issue with these. One of the comments from Mallory was that the dizzy's were on temporary hold and would not ship right away. Anyway, now all I have to do is reinstall it and hope for the best. That and cooler weather. :D

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Are you running a ballast resistor with this setup?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,976 Posts
Well, I am glad you have a fix but now you have me worried as I have Mallory Unilyte distributor. Which model is yours?

·
Official OLD GUY
3,877 Posts
NOT your TFI

Happened to me a few years ago . . . ran fine then just shut off. Cooled down, restarted, ran fine then . . . repeat.

Turned out to be the PIP in the distributor, not the TFI mounted on the distributor.

Doc :beerchug:

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TNcoupe - no resistor that I'm aware of. It's a Mass-Flo system.

CraigS - The dizzy is a Series 79

Doc - I figured the problem HAD to be in the dizzy; I replaced everything else. Evidently Mallory agreed.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I had the same problem last year and found out that you need to run a ballast resistor or have a Mallory coil that is internally ballasted. I opted to go with Mallory's internally ballasted coil and also installed a power filter.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-29351

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Here is some information from Mallory regarding the ballast resistor and troubleshooting the module.

View attachment 57890

View attachment 57898
Thanks Mike, thats where I was headed with it. The coil needs a .6 ohm resistor or something like that or it heats the coil up so much it wont work.....ask me how I know this. Runs 15 mins and dies. Cools off....runs 15 mins and dies. Dropped in an internally ballasted Pertronix coil and zero problems since.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.