Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm bored. The kit don't arrive till Tuesday so I dream up goofy S$%^t.

I have been thinking that functional quick jacks would be nice. What would it take to modify the FFR design? Has anyone done this?

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
An awful lot of major changes to the frame. Not worth it and there's no guarantee it will work. This has been discussed before.

Bill

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
ditto.

Find better things to upgrade. If I were doing my car over, I'd fill in those holes...the clean look up front is really slick.

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
I agree with Dan. I plan to delete the quickjacks front and back. The very first Cobra that I saw in person (Dan's) left a mark on my leg from walking into the quickjack. I don't need to do that everytime I walk into the garage.

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
My car w/o the front quick jacks

·
2,860 Posts
Wait a minute ...If you delete, them people will not have enough questions to ask! The first question is: "Is that a real 427?" The second question is: "What are those?" :D :D :D

·
1,752 Posts
Here's a real good example of why we're not using Quick Jacks or Over Riders.
Do a search on "Garage Freak" and you'll find a bunch more pictures,

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,333 Posts
Does anyone know how Garage Freak hid the bolt heads in the rear? I'm really thinking about getting rid of them too. I was thinking stainless capheads in the rear. BTW GF's car IMO is the best looking FFR I've ever seen, and he's a really good guy too. Hope to visit him and see the car in person some day.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm convinced. It was a stupid idea. But you have to admidt, if everyone ask what they are, it would be nice to say "thats for jacking the car up" instead of "well, on the 'real' cobras, one would jack the car with these, but mine are fake". I'm leaning toward removing them in this case.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Put over-riders on and they won't knick your keg when you walk by.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Look at the original Cobra racecars. My documentation shows them mostly with quick jacks facing inwards, not outwards as with all of the kits. Reversing them like that has a few advantages: the car is 7-inches or so shorter, and the things won't catch anybody in the shins any more. This took a bit of doing, of course. I developed my own parterns and had them fabricated out of stainless steel.

·
Junior Charter Member
148 Posts
We glassed over all of the holes for the bumpers, hood latches, trunk latches, trunk hinges, and windshield wipers by grinding the edges of the holes way back at an angle into the surface of the glass. Need to fill the hole with the same type of material and the same thickness so that it expands and contracts with the body and doesn't crack with age. Still looks great after 2 years.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
705 Posts
Originally posted by Pierre B:
Look at the original Cobra racecars. My documentation shows them mostly with quick jacks facing inwards, not outwards as with all of the kits.
Actually, many of the race 289s had them facing inward, as described.... but the 427s had them outward, since the jack lever would not clear the oil cooler scoop if they were facing inward.

Remember, quickjacks on the 427 originals were only meant for the Comp cars.

I have used the quick jacks on a real 427S/C, and even they don't work well. The inner tubing flexes and complains a lot as you jack the car...and the outer body skin gets distorted and stressed big time, often leaving a permanent bend.

Leave 'em for looks or shin damage...don't try and make them functional. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.