Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to run a 351W with a carb. I bought the Summit kit with the billet pump and regulator and everything else needed from tank to carb. My question is can I use the pickup in my 88 GT tank after I remove the factory pump and extend the line to the bottom of the tank? The instructions say the pump should be mounted below the tank with a gravity feed line? Do I need to put a new fitting at the bottom of the tank and run the line from there??

Any help would be greatly appreciatd.

walt

·
Super Moderator
3,701 Posts
Walt, you can modify the stock pickup like you mentioned or you can buy a new pickup like the one below for around $90

You are also going to have to find a place to mount your new external fuel pump so that the fuel will siphon down to it. Some people have made some brackets so that it will mount in front and below the tank. Here is how I mounted mine:

·
Charter Member
459 Posts
Here's how I'm working mine around the IRS. I used the same tank insert as John. Pump is below the tank.

Jeff

[ November 29, 2002, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Jeff B. ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
607 Posts
One problem you could have with a sump that enters the tank from the top is if you run out of gas, the electric pump wont want to start pulling gas up from the tank. they work best when the gas exits from the bottom of the tank, and gravity can re-prime the pump. Thats why they want you to mount it down low.You can get around this problem if you can put some air pressure into the tank as the pump is running. But you must be careful not to over-do it and end up with a perminent bulge in the tank. Just a little will do it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I plan on just using a regular mechanical pump and have gotten a regular tank insert from an '85 gt... fits just right.

·
5,044 Posts
You can get the new pick up that John posted from Muscle Motors for $58. Fitting has 08 AN feed and a 06 AN return.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts