Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some cheap zinc plated nuts and bolts to do a test hang of my Fuel Safe...

I must still be missing parts or something...

Here is a picture of my left bracket...

You can see how the chassis comes down, is cut off and a foot 'of sorts' is welded to that portion of the frame...that side is fine...

BUT...go over to the RIGHT side...

I am thinking someone forgot to cut a portion of the chassis tube away so that 'foot' is flush. The bolt holes do not line up and I need to twist and flex the bracket assembly over the top of one of the IRS Tubes. As evidenced in the next pic...

Also, the entire set up seems INCREDIBLY loose fitting...

I am assuming I am missing a 'cage' type portion for the top half to hold the fuel safe DOWN against the bottom of the brackets, if not, this thing would just flop around and be a serious hazard...

Do I have the wrong brackets? The wrong tank? Does that right side chassis tube need to be trimmed??

HELP!

;) :D

Neill

[ August 27, 2002, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: BatMobile ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,717 Posts
Neill,

I thought the same thing when I installed my donor tank in my IRS chassis. I think it is just a very tight fit. I had to wiggle and move the straps pretty good to get them to fit.

Ben

·
Senior Charter Member
351 Posts
You are correct in assessing that you need the cage... been there, done that!

Tim TT

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by timtt:
You are correct in assessing that you need the cage... been there, done that!

Tim TT
I guess that is when the cussing starts...I was reading past threads and how people were bitching about how hard it was to get the brackets to attach...I had mine laid up in a matter of minutes...mind you I could probably slide the whole tank in and out from the sides, that is how loose she is right now.

LOL

Neill

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
I believe you mentioned you purchased the tank through Mike Forte..

You are missing the top frame piece. It is just 3/4 square tube that is sandwiched between tank and frame. Easily fab'ed up.. Sorry mine is burried in the car or I would draw up a diagram for the piece.. Maybe someone who has not yet installed can chime in and do some measurements for you.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Joe...

I still have a couple of backorders to come in from F5, so I will most likely order the missing parts from them to send at the same time.

Any thoughts on the 'downtube' for the right hand side? And yes, I did get it through Mike Forte.

Neill

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Wnstwolf:
You are missing the top frame piece. It is just 3/4 square tube that is sandwiched between tank and frame.
Is it silver in color?

I may have that laying around back there, couldn't figure out what the heck it was...

I'll try to find it tomorrow and take a pic of it.

Neill

·
Super Moderator
29,604 Posts
When I ordered my Fuel Safe fuel cell from FFR with my kit, it came with a cage that fits over the top of the cell and butts up against the downtubes. I think I have a dimensional drawing I can fax. Send me an email and I will let you know.

I don't have an up close picture of the installed cell. It's out of the car now, as I'm waiting for my IRS unit to be delivered (someday)

Keith

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
I believe it was bare metal.. mine was a bit rust like since I did not realize it was packed in the evil hood hinge box...

Down tube? THe cradle will fit just to the left of where the transistion is in the structural members.. I believe the tank gets lower over on the right where fule pump goes.. To the left of that once it gets high is where the cradle goes..

P.S. if your going with a carb you will need to block off one of the tank holes that was spec'ed for EFI.. I called fuel safe and they sent me the cover with gaskets and hardware for $25.00

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent...

I'll be going Carb...so I'll get in contact with Fuel Safe.

:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts