Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:001_unsure:I'm building a complete kit with IRS and '03 Cobra engine. I mounted the fuel tank over the weekend and began wondering about the correct fuel pump to use. After checking one of local parts stores for an '03 Cobra pump ($500 + tax for a rebuilt!), I decided to check with someone who has already done this - the forum experts.

I searched for "Fuel pump" and from what I've read it looks like I have a Fox body tank with a fuel inlet pipe that will require a mod. However, not a lot on actual fuel pumps. I checked a major performance parts on-line catalog and found aftermarket in-tank pumps for 85-97 Mustangs with delivery rates up to 250 lpm and external electrics with 45 gph.

Since the fuel pickup tube is not wired for the in-tank pump, would it be better to use the external or to change the tank to a newer one with the correct pickup and float.

·
Premium Member
17,903 Posts
If you want to run an in-tank pump, you need the whole assembly and not just the pump. It looks like this:

If you're doing a "low" power build - meaning <400'ish hp - this will work just fine. It's quiet, easy to install, and lasts forever.

If you're going to make more power than that, You need a bigger pump and bigger lines. And that means external electric.

·
Registered
178 Posts
There was a set of used 03-04 dual pump with hanger on ebay for $100.

I would stick with the stock 03-04 Cobra pumps.

I have actually ordered a new 03-04 tank and pumps for my car since I'm out of fuel and was originally running an 01 Cobra tank with a 255lph pump.

Later, Steve

·
Junior Charter Member
710 Posts
R u using the blown terminator block? If u r, u need the dual pump which came from the cobra. You must use a pump that is meant for a returnless system.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, blown terminator. I guess this means new fuel tank as well. Is the late model fuel tank a direct bolt in?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yep, blown terminator. I guess this means new fuel tank as well. Is the late model fuel tank a direct bolt in?
I too need a fuel tank and fuel pump for my terminator. Can you use a tank out of a stock mustang and put a higher flow single pump on it or do you have to have the stock terminator dual pump setup?

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
You need a Gas Tank specifically from a Terminator, the baffling inside is different than any other tank, along with of course Dual Fuel Pumps.

where are you located?
I have a friend who might be selling a Terminator Tank.

Of course, I've done it before !
:biggrinparty:

The history of VenomXS (the first SuperCobra) in my website

·
Senior Charter Member
3,417 Posts
Ascott172 & Sergio:

If Ascott172 isn't interested in the tank, I would be.

Live in Northern CA.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Anyone who just needs an update to a 255lph tank, I will have one for sale in the next week.

I will support around 400rwhp.

Later, Steve

·
Junior Charter Member
710 Posts
Hey Steve, r u getting rid of the Focus pump?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts