Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come it's necessary to run 3/8" or 1/2" lines when the outlet of the fuel pump and the fuel filter are both 1/4"? I understand that the fuel pump is pushing the fuel under pressure, but isn't the smallest diameter in the fuel circuit the real determinent? :confused:

Michael~

·
Premium Member
18,140 Posts
I'm not a fluid dynamics engineer, so don't ask me for the scientific formulas to explain all this. But you're partly right, maybe even mostly right. Single point restrictions - like the pump and filter - will have a detrimental effect on fluid flow. But long distance restrictions also have a significant effect. Your system will flow much better with with 3/8" lines, even though you have those single point restrictions. Just use 1/4" lines and see what I mean.

Optimally, you want wide open space throughout the entire fuel tract. That's why I eliminated all the stock components and used AN lines and fittings everywhere.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Short version - friction between the sidewall of a pipe and the fluid within increases over distance. Therefore, pipe size has to get larger to lessen friction (volume cubes when area squares).

Same stuff happens when you're designing a water system in the streets, just on a larger scale.

All the best,
Tag

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.