Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any merit either for safety or any other reason to using the Fuel Cell vs. donor gas tank. I'm looking at the back end of the frame where the tank hangs and considering the diminutive size of the car compared to the std SUV and how low it is to the ground, a rear end accident comes to mind. We do not plan on racing SCCA events but I'm wondering if there is a safety advantage to a fuel cell?

Additionally, does anyone know what makes the fuel cell a fuel cell and not just a fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
Fuel cells are normally an aluminum or plastic container that has a rubber bladder and are foam filled to prevent fuel slosh and keep the fuel inside the tank incase the housing is ruprured.
They are a very worthwile addition to a car used in competition.
The down side is: The cost, and the bladder and foam require periodic inspections to insure they have not deteriorated, gasoline additives including ethanol are not friendly to rubber fuel system parts. The cheaper ones that use the plastic housing will also harden and become brittle with age, requiring a complete replacement. The plastic tanks are also not legal in some racing classes. HTH, John

·
Registered
773 Posts
The guy who does the inspections here in the Montreal region is a real expert when it comes to specialty cars like hotrods, off-road and specialty vehicles, etc. He has an extensive background in racecars and dragsters and is a big enthusiast. The man is very "cooperative" when it comes to things like heatshields, reflectors, defrosters, and other items that are legally required to licence the car, but are more of a technicality on something like our Cobras'. He thinks that the "Factory 5" is a very solid piece of equipment, but in his words: "THESE CARS SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO HAVE A FUEL CELL". The lack of rear protection presents a clear and present danger in a rearend colision situation. *I'll be installing one in mine over the winter.

·
6,305 Posts
Unfortunately the term "fuel cell" no longer means what it once did and is used pretty loosely these days. Unless you buy something with a rubber bladder inside it, I don't see any advantage. The ones that only use foam for slosh control will leak if you poke 'em just like anything else.
Frank

·
Administrator
6,990 Posts
I was told that the lifespan for a fuel cell is only 5 years so replacement cost is a consideration.

Not the only one of course.

Just my $.02

CNGreen

·
Charter Member
768 Posts
Bigfoot here convinced me a long time ago that the fuel tank in the Cobra was part of what he called the crush factor of the car. The safest way to go was with a fuel cell in order to keep the fuel under control in the event of a rear ender. With all the idiots that live in my area that are too busy talkin on their cell phones I tought it was good insurance. I bought the one for the spec cobra and never looked back. Its worth the peace of mind Id say.

GG

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
I bought an after market fuel cell for my coupe because I liked the 2" sump and heard too many issues with the FFR fuel cell running out of gas when the tank got low. You then have to reprime the fuel pump because the pick up is on the top and won't gravity feed. I don't know if this is an issue with the roadster.

·
Senior Charter Member
594 Posts
I heard that ethanol is on the rise in gas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts