Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to install a Fuel Safe SM122-A style fuel cell and was wondering what the cage from Factory Five sells (#15469) to mount it looks like? Surely a few of you have installed these in your cars I would love to see a few pics of what it looks like to judge if paying crazy shipping for this item is worth it, or look at getting one fabricated locally. Thanks.

· Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
FFR challenge car fuel cell cage

Bob:

FFR is not selling that cage any more as I understand. You could make one yourself from aluminum or steel strap with a little welding. Mine is already mounted and hard to show, but I found a few pix on this site by Googling "FFR challenge fuel cell cage"

FFR challenge fuel cell cage - Google Search

Ron

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob: Looks like you are using a different tank then I am thanks for the help though.
Ron: Tried using a bunch of searches on the forums, leave it to google to find what I wanted on the site I was looking on no less...and with Bob Cowan in the post lol

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/176297-old-style-fuel-cell.html

I imagine I could get this done locally but its more complex then I originally thought it would be, after seeing it it helps justify the cost a little more. Now to see if they do indeed still sell/ship these.

Oh one last thought. Is there any difference between that section of frame on a roadster vs a challenge car? I can't see any but maybe I am missing something.

· Registered
1,973 Posts
Oh one last thought. Is there any difference between that section of frame on a roadster vs a challenge car? I can't see any but maybe I am missing something.
Yes there is a difference as we have a 2" tube that runs in front of the fuel cell cage for protection and this is where we mount our rear tow hook but the where the fuel cell cage actually fits is the same minus the difference in the Mk versions

Also be aware that when you go to a fuel cell you will have to pull the fuel cell every 1-2 years and replace the flex line in the cell as Fuel Safe does not use submersible quality line.

· Registered
1,679 Posts
It looks like I don't have a decent picture of the cell install from my car readily available. If no one posts one today, I can snap a couple tonight for you.

IIRC, It would be pretty easy to duplicate if you had a plate bender or a press brake.

· Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Fuel cell

Bob:

It's a little hard to see in these pics, but I made an inspection/access panel in the trunk panel above the fuel cell so that I can remove the fuel cell fill plate in case the pump or foam needs to be changed. The panel is made from .040 aluminum and is held on with flush Dzus fasteners so it doesn't protrude and comes off easily. That makes it a lot easier to access the wiring, plumbing, etc. or even take the whole fill plate off to allow access to the inside of the cell. You can see the panel itself just to the left and above the battery.

Ron

Attachments

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I ordered one from Factory Five and looks like its going through so apparently they are still available for order. Can't see why they wouldn't sell them, its not like the bracketry is from fuel safe or something, its fabricated in house.
Ron: Thanks for the pics the access panel is a good idea, I actually have 3 triangular ones in my trunk right now. I will have to see about opening up the middle one a little more to accommodate the fuel cell panel but it looks like I have a piece of cross bracing in the way.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.