Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Jon Pickard
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the subject states, is their a reason to not route the Brake and Fuel lines down the top of the Tranny Tunnel?

·
Senior Charter Member
188 Posts
If you should have a u-joint fail, you don't want the lines to be cut by the driveshaft.
A safety loop would probably help avoid this,but why take the chance.
That's my reasoning anyway.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Ahab,
That is exactly what I am doing tomarrow. I will have a Drive shaft loop in there to keep drive shaft under controll if it lets go though. Since the drive shaft is only about 12 or 13 inches long I plan to put the safty loop in the middle so no matter what side lets go then it will support the shaft. Depending on how things look once every thing is together I may weld another piece of steel to creat a shield but I do not think it is needed.
Jon D.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
If you ever plant to race at an NHRA track .You will not pass tech. Bob

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you care about your safety and the safety of your passengers, you shouldn't route them down the tunnel...

·
5,559 Posts
Routing along the 4" main frame rail is simpler, and much safer. I can't think of a compelling reason to do what you are asking. If routed near the top of the frame tubes (near the floor), they are almost invisible anyway when looking under the car.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Originally posted by Ahab:
As the subject states, is their a reason to not route the Brake and Fuel lines down the top of the Tranny Tunnel?
Yes! Check out this thread posted by Joe Loyd (FFR3588) a few years ago.

http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/33/t/020043.html?

Having a u-joint let go is going to result in a bad day. Having one let go and take out your battery cable along with the fuel and brake lines could turn it into a really bad day. ;)
Even with a drive shaft safety loop I don't think it's worth the risk.

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
Wow, good thread guys. Now you got me thinking! So how/where should the fuel & battery lines run? Pix would be awesome! Sorry about the hijack!

Rich

·
Jon Pickard
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replys guys. I haven't mounted anything yet, but I'll be re-routing them another way.
How does the manual state to route the battery cable? Does it go down the tunnel?

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Point is that if the cable and the lines are there you would have spark and fuel :(

Standard on MK-II is cable in the tunnel, lines outside.

·
5,559 Posts
I still ran the battery cable through the tunnel, but it is protected by a driveshaft safety hoop. What Stephen said above IS the point - you don't want to mix your fuel supply with the potential of a severed battery cable that could easily ignite it! :eek: If it severs the battery cable alone, it isn't a big deal, because you can't drive the car without the driveshaft anyway...

Brian

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Rich,

I ran the brake line to the rear down the outside of the drivers side 4" tube and the 3/8" fuel line down the outside of the passenger's 4" tube.

HTH, Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts