Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading some of the posts in the archives I decided that I should change my master cylinder for a better brake feel. So I got a Jeep MC and also re-did the front brake lines with CuNi tubing. So all around it turned out to be a nasty job with many leaks at my flare fittings.
But the big one that had me looking for Mr Jack Daniels was the MC was leaking in the footbox. Yes it was supposed to be reconditioned.
So I'm back to square one but before I make any more errors I'll ask this question.
Are the Wilwood MC's compatible with the FFR firewalls? I believe the centers are 3 1/4.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I have discs all around, front '87,rear Sn95

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,346 Posts
No Jeep MC, use the 94-95 Mustang Cobra MC, 15/16" bore. And it fits the mounting holes. Was used in the old Motorsports brake kit. I have had one in my MKII since 2005, with discs all around. You can always add an external prop valve if you feel you need to cut back. You can also mechanically bias the brakes with different pads.

I have had the same rear 1994 Mustang GT disc calipers on the car, the front discs progressed from Fox, SN95, and finally SN95 Cobra, the MC was always good for the job.

With discs, you do not need a proportioning valve, as the Jeep MC is designed to work with rear drums.

Reactions: pbohrs

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I've been looking at that cylinder and the reservoir looks kind of steep, like maybe for a booster set up. Is that going to be a problem for manual install?

·
Caress of Steel
2,168 Posts
Plenty have used the Jeep MC with no problems, I did on my first build with PBR Cobra brakes, and it was fine for a street car. Good lower-cost alternative. It was a crapshoot to get an aluminum rather than cast iron, but is really not a big deal.

Some info:

·
Charter Member
1,060 Posts
You might try bench bleeding the Jeep MC. Though long ago, I seem to recall it was important for a successful brake system build.
I have had a Jeep MC since day 1. Been using the same one for 19 years with no issues with no power added. It mounted right up just fine in my MKII. If your purchasing one try to find the aluminum version MC. I started with the 91 Mustang GT brakes, now I have SN95 front and rear. I have good brake balance without the need for a proportioning valve. I also have track brake pads, and they will pop your eyeballs (almost :) ) out of their sockets if you have sticky track tires and apply good peddle pressure. So the Jeep MC can work and give good braking.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,346 Posts
BTW - Did you do the brake pedal mod?

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,708 Posts
I have a properly matched Wilwood master that would go right in. I use it in my builds and it works great.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW - Did you do the brake pedal mod?
I assume it has been modified. I am not the original builder but the pedal looks like there's been quite bit of welding.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,197 Posts
Call Gordon. At least that way you are getting a new manufactured MC vs one rebuilt.

·
Registered
Roadster #7430
26 Posts
Call Gordon. At least that way you are getting a new manufactured MC vs one rebuilt.
I use rebuilt parts routinely for non-critical applications, such as alternators, water pumps, etc.

However, for things like brake master cylinders and steering boxes, I prefer to rely on new parts.

Please let us know which MC you end up with.

Good luck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, did this. Thanks. Gordon is very helpful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts