Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Blues n Brews
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to attempt to align my front wheels on my MK2. I have a Fastrax alignment tool. I would like to get input from those who have used this tool. I have never aligned a wheel before so am wanting to do this right. I have talked to several tire shops and most will not touch my roadster because its not in the alignment machine's computer. The one that will do it wants $100 and said it would take 2 to 3 hours. I dont mind the cost or time, but since I have the Fastrax tool I thought I would give it a shot. The instructions with the tool look straightforward, but what should I adjust on the upper control arms to set the caster and camber? Is the rearmost adjuster to set caster, and the forward adjuster to set camber? Or is it a combination of the two to set the caster and camber? The toe in I can understand, just adjust the tie rods to the toe spec. Any advice or input would be welcome.

Thanks

Eric

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,091 Posts
Have done mine many times with fastrax and I found it easier if I level the floor. Have plywood squares that I drive on and used greased floor tiles on the front for turning. Hardest part is adjusting arms because cobra is so low.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,991 Posts
The UCA is pretty close to symetrical from a top view so it's really a combination of the top arms. I make a mark on the sleave so i can count turns one at a time. To adjust camber change the length of both arms equally. That will get you a camber change w/ minimum effect on caster. To adjust caster making the front arm longer and the rear arm shorter by an equal amount will change caster more positive w/ a minimal effect on camber. Notice on both I said 'minimal' effect. It won't be exactly zero but fairly close. I usually make my changes one full turn of the sleave at a time until I am very close to my goal number and then I may make smaller changes to get right on. Also, I like to do a quick toein check as I make other changes to keep it somewhere close to zero. I schedule myself at least 2 and preferably 3 hours to do a full alignment. You will find your self going around and around getting closer w/ each change. Then you move to the other side and repeat.It can be a rewarding process if you aren't in a rush and very frustrating if you start running out of time. I am happy w/ caster side to side within 1/4 degre and camber within 1/8 degree.HTH

·
Blues n Brews
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all that replied. I did it on Monday morning, took me about 2 hours. I did discover that if the garage floor is not level it will affect the Fastrax gauge. I had to level the roadster by using some plywood sheets under the front wheels. I had to raise it up 2 inches, as my garage floor slopes down to the door for drainage. Once I had the roadster level it was not that difficult. Once the weather clears up I'll take it for a test drive.

Thanks again, all the input was really helpful.

Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.