Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a MKIII with pin drive IFS/IRS. The inside back corner of the front tire (235/60 R15) just touches the 'F' panel when steering right or left. However the outside back corner and tire tread really get into the splash panel.

I've seen some posts recently about adding spacers to limit steering rack travel and stop the tires from making contact. Is this the best way to fix this or should I modify the 'F' panels/splash panels so the tires do not hit?

I can physically turn the steering wheel another one half turn past the point that a tire makes contact with either splash panel. Will I lose a lot of turning radius if I limit steering rack travel this much?

Any help/direction would be appreciated.

JT

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
The turning circle will not change. It is limited now by the rubbing. The sterring restrictors work fine, HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
Junior Charter Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Richard,

Thanks for the reply. Without the splash panels in place, the turning radius appears much tighter (by a full one-half turn of the steering wheel). That seems like a lot.

Do all the roadsters experience front tire rub or is this specific to the Pin Drive set-up?

Do you know if anyone has modified the splash panels to improve tire clearance instead of using spacers in the steering rack?

JT

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks John,

That was one of the threads I was looking for. I'm sure I had read it recently, but could not find it again.

You don't know of any threads that describe the "BFH modifications" to the splash guards, do you? I tried searching a number of ways but came up empty.

JT

·
Senior Charter Member
1,051 Posts
My set up is 255X17 with no mods to F panels or rack. I have pin drive width.
The tires just rub a little on the F pannels but not enough to worry about. Mine could be dimpeled with a nylon hammer and use a bag of lead shot on the other side to form a smooth dimple in the F pannel. I did this for my Hydroboost/MC combo.
You have 60 series on 15" wheels. You probably have more sidewall bulge on them than on my 17" wheels.

Reactions: myrtille2004

·
Junior Charter Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks John,

Good point about the difference in tire size.

I am still considering whether or not to modify my splash guards because the tires get into them pretty good. I will probably try the rack limit spacers first to see how well they work.

However, others have apparently had problems with the spacers pressing into the steering rack during hard turns, so we'll see.

Always somethin', huh!?!

JT

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Sorry JT,

Don't know of the exact threads where folks discussed the BFH method. The description by John above is one of the best I've seen.

When you say "...others have apparently had problems with the spacers pressing into the steering rack during hard turns..." I'm not sure what you mean and I don't remember reading that post? That said, memory fades and all. Maybe you can help me out.

Thanks,

John

·
Junior Charter Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi John,

Can't find the thread, but I swear I read a couple of people had tried to use PVC for the spacers, and these were pressing into the rack as the steering went lock to lock. Apparently the PVC pipe diameter was slightly too small. I'll try to find it.

By the way, thanks for getting back to me.

JT

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
Is the front end aligned, and are the upper control arms in the pin-drive, inner holes?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,740 Posts
Modify the alum panels.it's really a pain to to 2 back and forths just to get into a spot you should be able to drive into.To me, that makes the whole thing more of an unsorted kit car.If you can drive into a spot w/ your street car, you should be able to in your FFR.

·
Junior Charter Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ed,

The front end hasn't been aligned by a shop, but it's close. I've been playing aound with the settings and gained a little room. I am hoping that shop alignment will gain some more.

Ride height is set at 4.5 inches and I have the Pin Drive brackets bolted correctly.

CraigS,

I'm not a big fan of a large turning radius either. Thought I would try the spacers just to see what they do. If the turning radius suffers too much or I can't get the clearance I need, I am seriously considering modifying the front splash guards.

JT

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Like Richard said, your turn radius is already limited. Unless you use the BFH mod, it's not going to change. Mine rub a little, but I'm not making that sharp a turn at speed on purpose :D

c

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
JT, here is another option. Using my handy dandy Harbor Freight brake, I made one piece F/splash panels. I moved the bend aft eliminating the 45 degree bend between the two panels. I lost none of my turning ability, have no tire rub and saved a little wear and tear on my BFH.

·
Junior Charter Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Charlie c,

I hear ya'! Don't want to do a 'Dave Smith'!

Mike,

Now that's more like it. Very nice!

Harbor Freight brake, huh? I was looking at one down there today. On sale too. May have to go back and get it now. ;)

Thanks Mike.

JT

·
Building
833 Posts
Originally posted by Mike DeGuire:
[QB] JT, here is another option. Using my handy dandy Harbor Freight brake, I made one piece F/splash panels. I moved the bend aft eliminating the 45 degree bend between the two panels. I lost none of my turning ability, have no tire rub and saved a little wear and tear on my BFH.

Hi Mike,

Did you have a couple more pics from different angles by chance?

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
HTH, Mike

·
Building
833 Posts
Thanks Mike!

Ron

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.