Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My front tires are worn significantly more on the inside than the outside. The inside is worn down to or past the wear indicator & outside has about a 1/16" to the wear indicator. I have 18,000+ miles on the front tires & I drive aggressively so I guess that"s not bad life out of my Sumitomos.

My question is: Is the more inside wear normal? I have power steering, so it's aligned with 6 degrees of camber. Wouldn't + camber wear the outside of the tires more?

***Edit: I have +6 caster, -.5 camber, 1/16" toe in

I only got 11,000 miles miles out of the first set of rears(might have spun a little) & now 18,000 out of the front on the Sumitomos. I thought the Sumitomos worked out well driving wise(I know some don't like them). Would I get more life out of Kumho Ecsta XS tires?

Thanks

· Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Camber vs Caster

Mike:

It sounds like you have a little too much negative camber, (the tire is leaned in at the top). How much do you have?

The amount of positive caster you have sounds about right for a power steering setup.

Ron

· Premium Member
2,913 Posts
. Wouldn't + camber wear the outside of the tires more?

Thanks
yes it would...and it would look very strange too.

if you are meaning +6 CASTER , that's fine for power steering.... sounds like you do have a CAMBER problem....

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys, I screwed up in my original post!

I have +6 caster, -.5 camber and 1/16 toe in.

I edited my original post.

· Not a waxer
12,099 Posts
As mentioned above, I think you are confusing caster and camber. Negative camber and toe out will wear the inside. I run an apgressive setup of -2 camber, +8 caster and 3/32" toe in. Even with that I get even wear all the way across running 21 to 22 psi. My Kumho XS were used up by 7,000 miles so I'd be thrilled with 18Ku :)

Jeff

· Registered
739 Posts
I wouldn't expect to see uneven tire wear with the *corrected* alignment specs. You should have the alignment checked again when they put the new tires on. It is possible the settings changed, or a mistake was made when setting the alignment initially. Excessive toe-out or negative camber can wear the inside of the tire.
With only 1/16" difference in wear between the inside and outside of the tire, your wear is reasonable anyway.

· Premium Member
2,913 Posts
:eek: I missed the 18,000 miles...I wish mine lasted that long. I am running -2.5 camber, +3 caster and +1/32" toe out .I get even wear all the way across running 22 psi..and that is with NT01's. I drive mine somewhat aggressively as well. Might go back and have the alignment checked before you do anything.....but 1/16 difference in wear outside to inside doesn't seem excessive...at least to me..

6,297 Posts
One easy thing you can do to verify what you think you have for camber is to pick up an angle finder from Harbor Freight. (they're about $5) Lay a straight edge vertically on the outside of the tire with the angle finder on the straight edge and read your camber in degrees. This will confirm how much camber you actually have and can help you in figuring out what to do next.
Frank

· Premium Member
735 Posts
When is the last time you checked your ride-height versus when the alignment was done? Any change in ride height will affect camber and in many cases even toe, either of which in turn will affect your tire wear pattern.

Regards,
Bill

· Registered
925 Posts
I have to agree with Erik. What you're seeing is fairly normal wear, and that difference over 18,000 miles seems fine to me. 0.5 degrees of negative camber is very mild, and the caster is just right for power steering.

If you have any negative camber at all combined with any toe-in (or out) at all, you will get uneven tire wear to some degree. 1/16" of toe-in is the equivalent of scrubbing the tires sideways 27 inches for every mile, with the weight biased to the inside edge due to the camber. As a result, the inside edge wears more. That's the price you pay for the added cornering grip that camber offers coupled with the better high speed stability that toe-in provides.

It certainly can't hurt to get the alignment checked, but if the wear is similar on both tires, I doubt that anything is too far out.

Tim

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. Bill, I'll check the ride height - good thought. I'll get an alignment after I get new tires.

· Registered
3,619 Posts
What also might be going on here is as you say you drive your car agressively. Around a turn the body rolls and the camber on the inside tire changes a lot, the amount of Ackerman you have in your set up also plays a part. Your wear indicators are not that bad . Perhaps a front sway bar ( both front and rear would be better) or perhaps the SAI mod might be something to consider.
HTH
CB

· FFCobra Craftsman
26,001 Posts
I don't think you have a problem. That's normal for a small amount of negative camber. I would check the toein myself and not worry about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.