Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Official OLD GUY
3,723 Posts
Fits on my MKII just fine . . . it's all about proper rim dimensions: back spacing, off-set and width.

HTH

Doc :beerchug:

·
Not a waxer
11,551 Posts
The wheel openings were tightened up on the Mk4 so depending on which spindles you have putting 275s on the front ranges from nearly impossible to just barely. Your best shot will be with FFR, Fox or '94-95 spindles along with 1 degree or more of negative camber. You definitely need to trim back the front wheel opening returns.

Good luck,
Jeff

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
Or you can just have a front ride height over 4" as Doc said depends more on wheels and alignment.

These are 255 x 17 on 9" rims on Mk3

295 x 17 on 10.5 rims

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
front

I had a set of 245/45/17 on the front and sold them, drove the car had no issues would like to put 275 on the front. this was a complete kit build so I used the FF5 spindles with 6 pistons calipers

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,112 Posts
Do it. Yes, 275s need some care to make them work on a MkIV. I have always wondered about why FFR did that. Anyway, if there is a bit of work required, I think it will be worth it.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
These are NITTO 555 in 255X40X17" ride height currently about 3-3/4" or a little less on the front with stock FFR wheels. They were a simple jack the car up & bolt on the wheels. The car was Auto-X'd at this height without any rubbing on the frame or body. This is normally as big & you can go without some modification to the MK-IV.

The ride height is a bit low due to the spring settling, something else you need to think about with a fresh car. Am currently raising the height as part of my annual maintenance routine.

Thing you need to watch out for is you can't buy the tire based on 255 or 275. Even with the same number 275 vs 275 the physical measurement of the tire can be quite different.

If you want 275's up front also ask for a brand & tire within brank that someone here is using in that size to see how the tire actually fits..

In another brand of tires on a different car my 255 Yokohama 100's had the same tread width as a Goodyear 275.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
front

thank you, I found a Hoosier 275/35 that is the same height as a 245/45. just adds 1.3" of tread width, think I am going to try them

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
thank you, I found a Hoosier 275/35 that is the same height as a 245/45. just adds 1.3" of tread width, think I am going to try them
Which model are you looking at?

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
Drag radials have soft sidewalls which when used on the front won't lead to great cornering. JMHO...

Jeff
Right, that is why I asked.

Why or what are you trying to accomplish running 275's up front?

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
just looking to have as much traction to keep the car on the road as possible.
You cant buy extreme performance, that comes from practice, seat time. These cars will stay on road just fine, the problem is the operators spend too much time on the go fast pedal when they should have been on the brakes sooner coming into a turn.

You can over drive any car into a turn, a Factory Five can go way too fast into a turn no matter what tires you have you will crash. This is where practice, AutoX or track days come into play. Go out and wipe out find out where the edge of you car and your skills lie.

My word of caution without proper respect and skills you will wipe out even on the best racing tires. Unfortunately you will be going wayyy too fast and they give you no warning they just go. Where as good street tires begin to squeal when they are approaching edge.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,112 Posts
In addition to added cornering power if tuned properly, the 275s help a lot w/ the usual FFR too much front brake problem. Mine is a MkII but I have never run less than 275s since 2007. For autocross rubber in 2015 I ran 295s on 9 in wheels first and then on 10.5 wheels for the last half. In 2016 I ran 315s on 10.5s on all 4 corners

1 - 15 of 15 Posts