Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the front of my mk4 is way to stiff with the 500 lb. springs that came in the kit what are the best springs to try?

Mike Gough

·
Registered
816 Posts
I had 750's on my car and turn in was great! I went down to 350's and they feel pretty soft, I also had to preload the springs to get the correct ride height with the 350's.
I did not need to do that with the 750's. Right now I'm running 350 in the front and rear. It feels like I need more spring up front. What spring are you running in the back?
It also depends on your bushings as sticky bushings (no grease, or old grease) can bind and make the front and rear feel more stiff. If you have not greased the font end in the past six months try that before going to another spring rate.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,190 Posts
My MKII came with 450 front, 250 rear with the 3-link/8.8. Gave it a good ride, firm handling, responsive, nice street set-up. Also had the Gold non-adjustable shocks. I did add the adjustable front sway bar, that helped handling.

Once I started tracking the car, it was much too soft, so now at 650 front, 450 rear. Also updraded to Double-adjustable shocks, so the suspension can be tuned. VERY firm on the street, but perfect on the track.

The true answer is what is your driving needs, and what kind of ride do you want. 450-500 up front is a good rate.

·
Not a waxer
11,688 Posts
You won’t feel much change in the ride by softening the front. You will notice more change by going to a lower rate in the rear BUT that will also exacerbate the car’s tendency to understeer. Honestly I don’t like seeing guys go to soft springs... I run 750 front and 500 rear but that’s too hard core for many.

Jeff

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,507 Posts
Mike what shocks are you running.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,507 Posts
Did you check that they are at the full soft setting before installing them? I am curious because 500# front springs have been the standard for quite a while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you check that they are at the full soft setting before installing them? I am curious because 500# front springs have been the standard for quite a while.
no I did not I just found out that they had a adjustment

·
Not a waxer
11,688 Posts
FYI, the adjustment on the Red 30 series Konis is for rebound only. Since it doesn't change compression it has virtually no effect on ride quality other than to calm down a "bounce" that may occur if adjusted too soft.

Jeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FYI, the adjustment on the Red 30 series Konis is for rebound only. Since it doesn't change compression it has virtually no effect on ride quality other than to calm down a "bounce" that may occur if adjusted too soft.

Jeff thank you]

·
Registered
383 Posts
The red Konis have an adjustment?!
How / where do you do that? I want to make sure they are all set the same at least.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts