Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Front spindle assembly questions

449 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  DMW 
#1 ·
Now that the donor is stripped and the carcass has been disposed, my build has officially begun. I will try not be too much of a nuisance and search old posts but hope you all will help me where possible.

I started working on the front end this weekend and have a few questions. I purchased a new Flaming River steering rack which looks really nice. I then started to mock up the spindle/rotor assemblies. The first confusion I had was finding the correct bolts for the spindles and shocks. I wound up re-using the donor spindle bolts and nuts which looked better than anything I could find that was shipped to me. Is it OK to reuse these?

I took apart the spindle assembly and am ready to clean it. Is it sufficient to wire brush it, then paint it with rustoleam or should I order some POR15 and only use that?

Do I need to check the spindle for wear or just pick up replacement rotor, bearings, pads, and put them on?

#2 ·
>hope you all will help me where possible

That's what we're all here for; to get and recieve help.

>finding the correct bolts for the spindles and shocks

For the spindles, you're supposed to use the donor parts. For the shocks, there should be replacements in the kit, along with spacers. But the donor ones should also work just fine.

>Is it sufficient to wire brush it, then paint it with rustoleam

That should do just fine. Another product I like a lot is Extend. It's a rust treatment and coating/sealant. Then you paint or powder coat over that.

>Do I need to check the spindle for wear or just pick up replacement rotor, bearings, pads, and put them on?

Check everything for wear, and replace as necessary. Try not to go too hog wild here. Ask yourself, "Would I replace this part on my Mustang?". If so, replace it on the Cobra. If not, just clean it up and re-use it. That's the whole point of the donor concept, so you don't spend piles of dough on replacement parts.

[ December 01, 2004, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: boB ]

#3 ·
BIG little thing to remember. When assembling the front end, make sure that the cotter pin holes on the ball joints are aligned so that you can get a cotter pin through them once assembled.

I read where someone else forgot to do this then had to wrestle things apart to redo everything. I made a mental note not to make the same mistake - then I made the same mistake!

#4 ·
Just my opinion, but I would replace the bearings and seals. I used POR 15 on the spindles and it turned out great.

I also had to take everything apart to line up the cotter pin holes.

#5 ·
Originally posted by DMW:

I read where someone else forgot to do this then had to wrestle things apart to redo everything. I made a mental note not to make the same mistake - then I made the same mistake!
Mea culpa, I don't know if DMW was talking about me, but I did that. Line up those cotter pin holes, save yourself some work and nasty language.

Also, for spindle bolts, new seals, whatever, call Mark Reynolds at Breeze Automotive, one of our forum sponsors. He's got all the little bits that you need and he knows FFRs. You need to buy at least one thing from him just to get his catalogue, which he calls a "resource guide" for very good reason. The front suspension ain't gonna be the last place you find you need special bits, and he's got them all.

AJ

#6 ·
In regards to replacing the bearings and seals, it all depends on what type of spindle you are using. Fox type spindles have replacable bearings and seals. SN95 type spindles use a sealed bearing/hub assembly that is replaced as a unit. They run about $45.00 ea at your Ford dealer. You should also get new spindle nuts for the SN95 spindles, as they are a one time use only type nut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.