Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot remove the rod end from the end of the shock. Can anyone give me some specifics for doing this?
Has anyone els3e had trouble installing the ball joints into the control arms?
Thanks.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Pegleg -

Have you read about the problems wih the Bilstein shocks? Several of us had big problems with the rod ends because they were installed with some kind of Euro-locktite. If this is the problem you are having, the only solution is to contact FFR and have them send you new ones. Heating or beating on the shocks will only ruin them. If by this time you did ruin them don't worry, they will still replace them.

Do a search on Bilstein or shocks - this was a big issue in the last two or so months.

Regarding ball joints (upper), I had trouble with one - it almost was like the threads were stripped - but the other went in very smoothly.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
The upper ball joint screws down hard.
I put antiseize on the threads and cranked them to within a 3/16" of seating. Tach welded so they will not turn out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I took a cutting wheel and cut through the nut down to the thread. Then I crammed a screwdriver into the slot and twisted. It broke the Loctite and the nut came off.

Then I replaced the locking nut with a new one. I might be able to find the thread and size somewhere.

As I remember it, it was metric. I found the nuts in a GOOD hardware store. It wasn't a standard thread, but not too unusual.

I hated to throw away perfectly good shocks and I wanted to deal with it faster.

Good luck.

Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts