Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The TALL Guy
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a lot on the subject and wanted to make sure mine fit properly and worked right.

1) I did not like how the inner metal sleeve was not the exact width of the ears, but I understand why since the kit has to acccept the donor LCA's as well.

2) The washers are really spacers so you need to make sure there are no gaps after final assembly

3) Make sure ears pinch the sleeve and remain parallel

4)Grease appropriately

IT COST ME $50 TO GET MINE 100% RIGHT BECAUSE I BOUGHT A 1 TON ARBOR PRESS AT HARBOR FREIGHT....AND SOME "SPECIALTY WASHERS" AT ACE HARDWARE. I read a lot on the subject and would not have been happy unless i pulled the apart to "see for myself"

Left Side LCA : Left side of arm fit perfect. Right side of arm required the factory washer(spacer)

Right Side LCA : Right side of arm needed a washer(spacer) HALF the thickness of the one that came with the kit, Left side of arm needed factory washer.

Hard part was to find the correct thickness and size washer....but I did at ACE Hardware. The one I go to has an extensive fastener section. In an area not by the regular grade 8 stuff there was a set of washers labeled "machine bushings" They look just like the washers that came with the kit and are the same material, however, they have two thicknesses of each washer of the same size.

This is how I made the perfect washer to fit the smaller gaps and make them fit right and have the rubber bushing rotate properly around the metal inner sleeve as designed.

I used TWO WASHERS to make ONE THINNER SPACER (Smaller one fits right inside bigger one)

I did pull the LCA's apart, grease them by hand, and re-press the sleeve back in so it was centered and not sticking out either side of the rubber part of the bushing.

FINAL FIT with my ACE HARDWARE WASHER(SPACER) SETUP

Cheap ($0.40 for the large washer, $0.35 for the small washer)and they move pretty smoothly

If already had a press, would have cost me less than $2.00 to get the fit 100% right.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Btyan nice job. What ever needs to be done to make sure the ears are paralell and lca's ride on the inner sleeve. I ended up thinning some thick washers down on a surface grinder since had no thin washers handy.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Im second guessing my LSA install now. How freely shold they move when not attached to the spindle. I used one washer on each bracket, on the inside they fit fine and the brakets are straight. I torqued them parallel to the and floor they stayed in that position. They are well greased but are stiff to move them up and down. I just figured they will loosen up when everything else is put on and the car lowered.

Am I assuming too much
Craig

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
You want to get that thumb looked at...

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Craig "stiff" or too stiff is subjective since we can't move them. You will have slight resistance and once tq'ed should drop or drop down with liitle effort when not attached to the spindle. They do loosen a little after some miles and lubeing. As long as it's not the plastic rubber bushing that they are pivoting you should be ok. The fit is such that unless shimed,the ears when tightened will bend in or out slightly and this causes the outer not the steel inner bushing to make contact with the mounting ears. As long as the correct thickness shims/washers are used so mounting ears end up square to the lca's it should be ok. The inner sleeve is only very slightly longer/wider then outer bushing. When tight outer bushing might "just" touch ears but thats it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts