Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
FFR Bandit
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...here's the deal-

My front ears are not aligning properly.

Seems like the body is not sitting down enough on the drivers side to allow it to "wrap" under the car/ floor pan. I am gonna pull it off again and make sure nothing is hanging up under it, but all the other areas seem to line up correctly.

I will post a pic with in the next 24hrs as well to show what I'm dealing with as well.

Thoughts, picts. or ideas always appreciated!

·
FFCobra Captain
11,721 Posts
I don't think the body really wraps under the car or floor pan. Do the bolt holes in the body come close to lining up with the mounts in the frame?

The ears have to be trimmed to fit too.

·
FFR 7469
551 Posts
Andy - not sure what stage the body and elephant ears are in - as it relates to what process you followed for installing the elephant ears. Here is the basic process that I followed.

1 - Installed body with bulb seal (seal on trunk panels, firewall & small area behind seats) and the seal that goes on the 3/4 tube.
2 - Verified ride height - I had to increase my height by about 1/2"
3 - Installed quick jacks
4 - Pre-fit elephant ears w/o the bulb seal. This helped me verify what needed to be trimmed on the ears. I used a sharpie marker along body to mark up the elephant ears. Then I put the bulb seal on the ears and did a final test fit and drilled the rivet holes and put in place with cleco's.
5 - Then I took care of the other parts of the body, like the exhaust cut outs, hood, doors, trunk, etc.

If I remember correctly on my car, I had to trim the ears on the passenger side in front and rear more then the drivers side.

Hope this helps,

Bob

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
28,619 Posts
Body does not go all the way down to the bottom of the foot box on the drivers side. there is about 1/4" - 3/8" of aluminum showing (paint it black). I found the ears should mount to the splash guards crease to crease, not tab to tab. I still had to trim mine 1/4" or so in spots on the outer edge. If your body is centered over the hood opening tubes (by bending the QJ mounts over (3/16") to the passenger side, the front end will be more symmetrical and less ear trimming is required.

Some will flame you for moving the body over to center it on the hood opening. I did and won't look back.

See footbox sticking out?

Crease to crease fit:

Body centered over hood opening tubes:

YMMV,
Greg

·
Registered
796 Posts
Greg and Dan,

The MKIV body now wraps under the 2" bar and foot-boxes on either side. There are no bolts that go through from the side like in your first photo Greg. It gets secured from the bottom now.

·
28,619 Posts
Dang, it sucks being old and obsolete. :)

Greg

·
Registered
796 Posts
Dang, it sucks being old and obsolete. :)

Greg
Haha, not obsolete! I look at your car for lots of things, just not this....:001_tongue:

The last photo you posted is on one of my desktops as a wallpaper.

/end highjack

·
FFCobra Captain
11,721 Posts
Greg and Dan,

The MKIV body now wraps under the 2" bar and foot-boxes on either side. There are no bolts that go through from the side like in your first photo Greg. It gets secured from the bottom now.

That's really cool.

·
28,619 Posts
The last photo you posted is on one of my desktops as a wallpaper.

/end highjack
Thanks for throwing the old man a bone. :001_smile:

Greg

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I've just put the body on the frame to do the body work over the winter so I haven't mounted the "ears" yet but, I did have a similar problem with the left side not tucking under the frame. Ended up unbolting the front and loosening the rear attach points. I then made sure the frame was level side to side by placing a carpenters level across the 4 inch frame tubes. Then I held a plumb bob so the string was against the fender flare above the wheel hubs and measured the distance to the hubs. (Make sure your control arms are adjusted equally). I needed to move the body 3/8 of an inch to the driver's side to have the same wheel space on each side. As soon as I did this the body fit under the left side. It was still tighter than on the right but it fit!
Only problem was that the front mount points no longer lined up with the holes in the body. The forward frame extensions were easy to move enough to line up the holes. ( Held onto the frame and used my foot to push them ) Be careful! They move really easy!

Hope this helps
Norm

·
FFR Bandit
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Norm,

Thanks for the tips! I've got the ears where they need to be now and the left "underside" is still not quite as nicely wrapped under the car, but it is there.

As for the front mounting holes....didn't even think to "spread" them a little bit outwards. Will try that this weekend.

Any body got pictures of where they bolted under to the 2" frame???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.