Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would put up my solution for the drivers side MKIV Cobra Earl's fresh air system. It might help someone.

A lot of people are going in from the front. However, I ran my brake lines through the patch panel. Going below that area will either cause pedal interference and/or header interference. I wanted to go into the top outer panel.

The MKIV driver's footbox is much taller than earlier versions. The instructions say that the hose will crush down enough when the body is installed. I opted for the upgraded stiffer hose and making a 90 degree bend takes a couple inches. I wasn't convinced that there was enough room.

I just used some thin AL. I basically made a round tube, squished it into an oval, capped one end, and cut a hole in the side to attach to the valve. I cut the front of the valve flange out for better air flow. There is a strap to make sure it stays in place. It all stays below the top 3/4" frame rails (just).

Rolled it on some cans that were the right size.

Cut the flange:

Installed:

· Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,305 Posts
good

Looks like a good solution my only worrie is the body clearance its going to be thight not sure what diameter the hose is but if I look at mine there is nt much room once all ins install final. otherwise neat idea...

cheers

· Registered
11,831 Posts
brilliant

i don't even have a MK4 but this problem has always interested me. there are loads of posts about it, but i could never find one with a final solution posted.

please post pic with the body on when you get to it... i am guessing 95% sure you will be okay.

nice work!

· Registered
193 Posts
Lots of different approaches to doing this. Your approach is very creative and a good one provided there is ample body clearance. Here was my approach. Not original by any means. I adapted what I saw in Earl's instructions/CD.

· Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,305 Posts
Measurements

So I went and Mesured on m'y MK4 the Space between the top of the footbox and body. Well on the most outbord of the foot box you have 3.5 inch of clearance and in the center your just shy of 2.5 inch. So to give you an idea of the room once the body is in position

And keep in mind the further back you go the smaller the gap gets.

Cheers

· Registered
789 Posts
Well, I can give first hand experience. I did the top mount on the mkiv. There is barely clearance for the hose, but it works. The only problem is you don't get great air flow b/c of the pedals and the electrical.

If I had to do it over I would come from the front. Passenger gets a lot of air. I put a tranny tunnel vent in on the driver side. It gives awesome air flow, its just warm air. Pretty nice on cool days.

· Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The whole thing is below the hood flange. The fender goes up from there a little over an inch, so there should be pleanty of space (as pleanty goes in these cars).

The hose is 3 inches. There is more room than that. Just no room for the bend. With the oval I am less than inches.

I would have done it like Dave O if my brake lines were not in the way.

If I find something that doesn't work, I will update. I don't want to lead anyone astray.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.