Factory Five Racing Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Rain is an awesome teaching aid plus a lot of fun with very few walls to worry about.

I totally agree! Wet road surfaces are the best time to sort things out!
The guys that practice during the rain seem to be the fastest on race day...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cool videos, thanks for sharing!

You are running no rake right? (4.5" ride height front/rear?)
No front end aero lift at speed?

The front Uca's look great, PM sent.

/Thomas

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Cool videos, thanks for sharing!

You are running no rake right? (4.5" ride height front/rear?)
No front end aero lift at speed?

The front Uca's look great, PM sent.

/Thomas
Correct 4.5" front and back
This last visit to the track I had a larger front splitter than the FF5 CF item with an attempt at Canards and spill plates. There was a slight miscommunication loading the car onto the trailer the night before and the CF splitter is no longer useable. I knocked one up in a couple of hours out of plywood and other materials that I had laying around.
The car did not feel light in the front but my typical max speed that day was only 115-120 with a couple of laps getting up to 138mph. I don't have enough seat time in good track conditions to give a definitive answer.
Going to 600# front springs and adjustable shocks had a huge difference braking. With the FF5 supplied suspension the car would at times scrape the splitter under heavy braking. This was limiting how hard I could brake. Not the case now.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
With my spare time being taken up with a new business, my daytime job and family commitments I have reluctantly decided to sell my GTM.
As I had built it with a focus more on the track I had not bothered with the items that someone mostly driving on the street would be looking for, like, AC, carpet etc.
So it’s back to the shed temporarily to make some upgrades that whoever buys it will enjoy.
A full spec sheet will be posted as I finish up prepping the car for sale.

I did a lot of research on installing the door glass, (and a chat with the always helpful Ron), and determined that the best approach was to not even try to get the original FF5 set up to work.
The door bars were cut out and moved about 1” closer to the inside door trim panel. This allowed a lot of flexibility to get the window rails shimmed and aligned.
The plan is to use a hybrid version of the “Rumrunner” method for achieving a good seal against the body.
I have included a photo of the aluminum pieces that will be bonded and shaped once I am happy with the door and window alignment.
As for the sealing material, I am still trying to determine if I need to use 3/8” or ½” bulb seal, or a combination of both.
The ½” seems a little bulky for a “captured” seal. Any suggestions?

One of the downsides to having a custom front end is that I had to make a custom AC.
This has been sorted now so all that is left is to pull it back apart and powder coat the brackets etc and fill it up with gas.
I think that it came out looking pretty neat.

More updates to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Sorry to hear you're selling, your front end dual-rad setup is one of my favorite mods done to a GTM.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Sorry to hear you're selling, your front end dual-rad setup is one of my favorite mods done to a GTM.
Thanks, I really liked how the dual radiators turned as well.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Sorry to hear you selling the GTM too.

Hope it was a great journey and you had lots of fun with it.
Thanks!
I have had a blast with this car and I am already planning my next project when things calm down, (hopefully) in a couple of years.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I did not get to spend as much time working on the windows as I wanted to this weekend but made some progress.
The driver’s side door bars were cut and moved out towards the door trim as far as the trim would allow and reinforced. Same as the passenger side. I was able to get the window very close to where it needs to be, adjustment wise, before the regulator had an internal hemorrhage, (new one is still a week away from delivery.
I cut and re-glassed the B-Pillar but when I released the tape it sprung back just a little bit, so it needs to be recut and redone.
With some tweaking the seal frame allows both the A & B – pillars to tuck inside and contact the seal. The seal frame was temporarily secured with self-tapping screws and bonded with 8115, with pop-rivets used to give a little more strength after the screws were removed.
I used glass reinforced filler to fill the gaps and provide a good base for normal filler.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
An update on the door windows.
I thought that it would be easier to do a quick video rather than a bunch of photos.
The drivers side is pretty much done other than a little more tweaking and then smoothing out with some body filler.
Does anyone have a good part number for the felt window wipers?
Let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/xUfWWANv138

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Looking good, Dave. Looks like you should have a nice seal all the way around without leaks and wind noise. Lots of work but will be worth it in the end.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Looking good, Dave. Looks like you should have a nice seal all the way around without leaks and wind noise. Lots of work but will be worth it in the end.
Thanks!
I think that it will be worth it.
Even though I am getting the car ready to sell I just could not have that aspect of the car not match the rest of what I have done.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Well the planned one week away for work ended up being two and in that time I realized that the process of carbon fiber wrapping takes about 3-4 days. So time to start multi tasking on the interior while I finish off the doors.
Not having any experience doing this I was concerned with getting the twill to conform to the different contours of the center console and door cards so I purchased some 6oz 2x2. I started with the waterfall as it is the easiest shape but I am starting to think that I went a little light on the cloth weight. The 6oz was very difficult to keep from distorting under its own weight. I think when its all said and done it will look just fine but it will need to be a two + person job to lay down the cloth.
I will start laying down the clear resin in the morning on the waterfall and start on the center console piece in between working on the doors.

Attachments

41 - 57 of 57 Posts