Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is this normal?? what I mean is. the angle that runs from side to side when looking down through the hood opening, also when I fit the lower rad piece in it's on an angle too. body is all bolted down. thanks, chas
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/chasnpat/IMG_0402.jpg[/IMG
[img]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/chasnpat/IMG_0401.jpg

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
other pic of lower

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic but how do the 3/4" top rails,the ones that run along the hood opening look as far as being even. The amount of overhang here equal on each side? Also take a measurement from the front fenders to the frame. I needed to bend the front mounting bracket by the quick jacks up front so body would center. How is the rear of body for being centered side to side? My body is back off now but don't remember having what your showwing. Your body looks off side to side.

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, i'm at work now i'll look tomorrow but if I remember the rails are equal, when I put all the mounting hardware on there also was'nt any room for adjustment side to side.
chas

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Richard Oben stated one time that the way to center the front of the body is by the frame horns in each wheel well measured against the outer fender flare. He said the 3/4" tubes along the hood opening are not a reference point. I thought they were too but he corrected me.

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok i'll check that, thanks, chas

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I measured the body this morning and found that it sits to the right about a 1/4 inch that means it's about 1/8 off center, that does'nt seem to be enough to change the angle that I am looking at. should I try to move this body an 1/8 or just leave it, thanks, chas

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Chas, how does the back of body look when measured? Judging from the pic it seem as the rear is off sitting too far over towards the drivers side. Measure the rear off the frame not the wheels if having 3 link.I used a spot just above shock mount. Center the rear of body "then" center the wheels to the body by turning the panhard bar. The wheel centering only appliys to 3 link as its adjustable.

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just measured the rear and it's less than a 1/4 inch difference, it's 4 link anyway. i'm gonna make some phone calls and look at another car,
thanks , chas

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Chas, let us know what you find out. Other checks to find whats the cause would be measure the distance of the front upper radiator support (3/4" tube) to the firewall tubing or dash hoop to see if equal on left and right sides. Same with hood opening measuring front to rear on both sides.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I had the same problem, mine was 1 1/2 inch off set. I cutted the 3 1/4 tube and welded it in place!

Ron

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys, I had a friend stop over and check it out, we can't find anything drastic so I will measure rad frame and hood opening, I most likely won't change anything if I don't have to because the hood and doors are already fitted.
thanks again, chas

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
THANKS hind sight! thats it , the radiator frane is a 1/2 inch different from side to side, to look at the welds and where it is placed it looks like there is something wrong with the body. so I may fix this when I take the body off for paint. thanks again, chas

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Like stated above. The tires fitting in the fenders is much more important than the body opening under the hood. Center the body based on the fender edge to the shock mount. If you are 1/4 inch you should be able to bump it an then pin it in place. We put a couple of screws in the hood opening under the weather stripping to make it stay aligned. HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,406 Posts
I had this exact same problem on my Mk II, and it's not the only symmetry/body-alignment issue I had. The biggest problem with this particular issue is that is causes the radiator to sit canted, which is easy to see from the front (see 2nd picture above).

If you measure from different points on the frame, I think you'll find, as I did, that the top tube that the radiator is attached to is actually welded in crooked. Hard to believe when the frame is welded on a jig, but I guess this part isn't held in the jig. I "fixed" it on my car by bolting on a small strip of aluminum to the right/top radiator mount to drop the mounting points about 3/4". Now at least the radiator is level. If I had caught it earlier, I would have cut the tube out and re-welded it in straight.

I've seen several other FF5s, and I don't think it's welded on crooked on very many of them, but it definitely is on mine, and I'd say it definitely is on yours.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Tony I wouuld have thought this to be a not too common problem till these post. Since body is not installed go ahead and take a few measurements. Personally if it happened on mine I would fab a alum cover to go over this area as it's only cosmetic as long as the hood fits.

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I understand what you are saying about making a cover but when you look down to the bottem of the radiator the lower alum panel juts off on the same angle as the top so I will fix this when the body comes off, thanks chas

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.