Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Thanks hive. The decision is to go with grey powder coating with the hammertone texture and powder coat the frame silver or black.

------
WAS:

Hopefully this will be a fun thread.

My end product will be 'boring' ... one of these:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Ac cobra

Option 1 - except with polished stainless steel exhaust, dual rollbars (chrome polished) and red/blue 90-degree connector out of the oil cooler in the front.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Option 2 - a more solid colour because even though I love stripes and associate Cobras with stripes, solid is nice too and makes it look less sporty and more cruisy.

Either way, the exterior will be guardsman blue or vintage blue or princess blue or Ferrari azzurro metalica or some other shade of 'icy' blue.

The engine will be boring stock blueprint 347 with the Cobra air cleaner (the filter colour will be white and not red):

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system

========

I do not want black powder coated frame. No reason, I just don't want it. Here are the options (feel free to add more):

1.Blue between these two shades so it matches the car. Powder coat the aluminum the same colour. Or powder coat the aluminum red or white. I am leaning towards creating a contrast, so this might not be the best option.
2. Red for both (frame & aluminum) because red adds 40hp (true fact). Or red for one (frame or aluminum) and a different colour for the other (white?)
3. White. Show all leaks. Easily spot any issue. Underneath it'll get dirty and stuff but who cares. When you open the engine-bay, everything in the 'background' will be white. Powder coating the aluminum white or blue or red.

Any other suggestion that isn't black? Pictures will also be appreciated.

·
Not a waxer
12,171 Posts
I've done 3 FFR 20th Anniversary roadsters which included white powder coating on the underhood aluminum panels. In my opinion it isn't attractive and unless you want to clean it every time after you drive the car it'll look grungy when you open the hood. But that's just my observations and opinion ;)

Jeff

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I'd also recommend a different color than the body. you don't want everything the same color. too matchy-matchy IMHO.

Reactions: zee

·
Registered
29 Posts
Red frame might be cool but don't think the panels should go red unless you really want to stand out.. Blue might just be toooo much blue as others mentioned when you open the hood. So what about some kind of Graphite/Greyish so the Red Frame and Engine colors stand out... It's not black yet will help hide dirt/dust....

Now that I think about and after going to look at some engine bays of the rich and famous tv show folks ( Kindig, Ring Brothers, etc.. ) they do alot of body color inside the engine bay and it looks good. Nice clean look to it really.. but they also hide most everything but the engine itself..

·
Not a waxer
12,171 Posts
... as the expert on this, what would you suggest that looks nice to you.
I don't know about "expert" but I've seen a lot, both good and bad. If you're going to go with a color (by that I mean blue or whatever) under hood you really have to decide what the body color is going to be first and be certain that both match without clashing. I've done cars where an early decision on the colors of upholstery material or wood dashboard later haunted the owner when we discovered that it didn't play nice with the color they wanted for the exterior of the body. So for example, a blue powder coating might look nice until you get it side by side with Guardsman or Viking Blue or ??? and find that they clash terribly. For that reason I suggest that if you're not 100% sure of the final finish colors you stay with something rather benign like a hammertone or silver vein finish on the aluminum. Maybe a dark gray hammertone on the aluminum with a lighter solid silver on the chassis...

Pattern Metal Font Soil Carbon

...or vice-versa. Another option is to actually etch, prime, paint and clearcoat the visible aluminum panels the same as the body, but this requires a decision early on. My old friend Olli Hemphill did the panels of his first roadster in body color (HOK Sunrise Pearl) and it was stunning. You can search his username "Olli" for methods and photos if you're interested.

So...confused yet? :)

Jeff

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So...confused yet?
:).

No, this was super helpful. I dont want to paint and clearcoat because I have a guy for powder coating. FF is charging $699 for the frame (which isn't bad actually). I can get everything powder coated for not much more if I use the same colour. But if I use a different colour then the price does go up.
So for example, a blue powder coating might look nice until you get it side by side with Guardsman or Viking Blue o
I am surprised I never thought of that. That's why this forum is amazing. I kept imagining the frame separately and the body separately.

Because of this point, I'll stick with something neutral and non-offensive. Hammertone sounds like a great idea and if I stick with a darker shade (somewhere between grey and black) then no matter what body colour I chose, it'll work.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
But what if you combine ALL the colors?
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

• Haha
Reactions: zee
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.