Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, from this thread:

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/294543-mark-ii-clutch-pedal-offset.html

My question:

In the Fox donor, is there a clutch pedal stop? I did drive the donor (several years ago), but I remember/notice the pedal being higher. However, there is enough foot room in the donor that it's not that big of an issue. In my Mark II footbox, it's an issue...

Did something with the way the geometry works out in the FFR change? Or? In the Fox donor, is the clutch at the same height as the brake pedal?

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
I added an adjustable clutch pedal stop, especially, so the pedal would be the same height as the brake pedal. Otherwise it sits slightly higher up when released..

I have an aftermarket cable quadrant and firewall adjuster, so am not sure how this would work using the stock donor adjuster?

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
Griggs Racing sells a clutch pedal bracket you bolt on that repositions the pedal. Many find that helpful, as it lowers the pedal to match the brake pedal height...

HTH...
Mark

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I made a steel stop that sits under the bottom edge of the clutch quadrant. Very easy - Just a small square of steel with a single tapped hole. Sorry, but I can't seem to find a picture

·
Senior Charter Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great ideas guys. One of the down sides at this point is just access as it's all installed. I did make the top of the foot box removable, but not as easily as I had first figured it would be.

I have an aftermarket cable quadrant and firewall adjuster, so am not sure how this would work using the stock donor adjuster?
Good thought, and I have the donor adjuster. My current plan is to get my wife in the driver's seat with the car on the lift, then have her push the clutch pedal with me underneath watching the clutch lever to see when it starts to move. I may end up having to change the quadrant to get what I need.

Back to the Fox Mustang, does anyone know what the pedal heights in the donor look like?

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I noticed the same problem when I built my Coupe but my fix was a bit different. My thinking was that I did not want to change the arc or length on the clutch quadrant by using a stop so what I did was cut a small wedge out of the clutch pedal to move it so it was parallel to the brake pedal and weld it back together. My basic Idea here was that doing this gave more range of adjustment for the fire wall adjuster as the clutch started to wear.
HTH
CB

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
I didn't do anything. I like having the clutch pedal above the brake that way when I go from clutch release to brake I don't have to lift out to get to brake, just slide off clutch right on to brake. Coming off brake you need to lift anyway to get a good alignment on clutch so to me it is a non issue for what less than an inch difference between pedal heights? Also I have Fortes adjustable quadrant.

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts
...In the Fox donor, is the clutch at the same height as the brake pedal?
Just started pulling the engine from a '90 GT this evening and snapped this pic:

Obviously the clutch pedal is higher than the brake. I've built a couple of roadsters using Fox pedal boxes, aluminum quadrants and firewall adjusters. There is plenty of adjustment range so I've made a pedal return stops to hold it more in line with the brake:

Jeff

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Jeff - Are you building another roadster? How many is this? Sorry for the hijacK. :)

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeff, that's the perfect picture for me! Thanks. Confirms that my donor probably had the pedals exactly the same way, and I just did not remember or even pay attention.

OK, next question--and speaking to a couple of the posts... regarding over-clutching (pushing in the clutch pedal too far), is it obvious when you're looking at the clutch lever at the clutch plate when you get to "just right" and "too far?" So, can I reasonably determine when the clutch should be fully released? (if that question makes sense)

·
Charter Member
3,740 Posts
...OK, next question--and speaking to a couple of the posts... regarding over-clutching (pushing in the clutch pedal too far), is it obvious when you're looking at the clutch lever at the clutch plate when you get to "just right" and "too far?" So, can I reasonably determine when the clutch should be fully released? (if that question makes sense)
Gale K,
When you don't grind the gears trying to put it into reverse, that when you'll know the clutch is fully released.
Most reverse do not have a syncro gear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.