Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
dreamer turned builder
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Might want to check out the nylon clutch adjuster, it may be broken if it's still stock.
It has an aftermarket aluminum clutch quadrant so it's solid there. Definitely something going on with the clutch fork. I have read that if the fork and pedestal are worn then the fork can slip off. Anyway, car should be shipped soon (possibly tomorrow) and once it is home I'll pull everything apart and address the issue.

Here's my next video. Can't believe I didn't get any footage of it running. Next one for sure.

·
Administrator
6,986 Posts
Wow you have a lot of work ahead of you! Labor of love indeed!

Best of luck, and keep us informed!

:)

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
For that cowl dent, where the hood hit when it flipped up, I have had good luck inserting a deflated football, and then pumping it up slowly to take care of a lot of that dent.

Good luck, I have a soft spot for the foxes also, and I totally understand your goals with this project.

It'll be great again.

·
dreamer turned builder
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
For that cowl dent, where the hood hit when it flipped up, I have had good luck inserting a deflated football, and then pumping it up slowly to take care of a lot of that dent.

Good luck, I have a soft spot for the foxes also, and I totally understand your goals with this project.

It'll be great again.
Great idea for the cowl, I will definitely try that. Any ideas for the dents in the roof? Maybe call a PDR guy?

·
dreamer turned builder
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wow dude...you are determined! I expected to see a relatively original car. Man people do strange stuff to cars....shouldn't surprise me I guess.

Good luck with it!
Thanks and agreed. Some people shouldn't touch cars. Luckily I know how to make things looks good again. :001_smile:

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/2021-boy-elbow-grease-stuff-really-works-donor-motor-before-after-pics.html

Sure wish I had my old donor car still. I may have to get another one.

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
Any ideas for the dents in the roof?
Get a bigger football.

Seriously, I don't know. Since the headliner is out, it will be easier to get to, but it is beyond my pay level. Hopefully the sun roof frame is not bent, but it might need to be resealed.

Take your time and do it right.

Just remember that this is not about the car, it's about the memories.

·
Charter Member
1,560 Posts
Great project! All that practice building your FFR is now paying off - another donor to strip!

Have fun!

Geoff

·
dreamer turned builder
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Great project! All that practice building your FFR is now paying off - another donor to strip!

Have fun!

Geoff
Yeah it will be so nice to have every OEM nut and bolt I need right there in the garage. Beats scouring ebay and junkyards.

Time to get to work! :eclipsee_steering:

Justin

·
dreamer turned builder
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If you're going to drive a Mustang GT and doing burnouts with no door without wearing a seat belt burnouts, shouldn't you be holding an open beer in one hand?
The seat belt is seized from the accident, couldn't pull it out otherwise it would have been on. Good thing I don't drink.

·
dreamer turned builder
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The football trick works nicely, thanks for the tip!

Last night I got the junkyard hood with the hood latch & cable, headlights and correct battery hold down installed.

It's kind of amazing how much stuff is damaged or simply missing from the car. Not sure if it was stripped or ?.

The wiring is another mystery. Nearly every wire under the dash has been cut and crimped back together with a different color. So they might have grafted in a different harness or something. One thing is for sure, the donor car is worth it's weight in gold at this point. It's so nice to have a reference with all the correct parts, harnesses, fasteners etc.

I think the plan is to get the car basically dialed in mechanically, and then gut it and focus on body and paint. Gonna be ugly for a while but we'll get there. :001_smile:

Justin

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
The wiring is another mystery. Nearly every wire under the dash has been cut and crimped back together with a different color. So they might have grafted in a different harness or something. One thing is for sure, the donor car is worth it's weight in gold at this point. It's so nice to have a reference with all the correct parts, harnesses, fasteners etc.

Justin
Is the donor the same year as your car ?? Having a donor wiring harness will be huge. Even though it is a lot of work to pull the dash and transplant the harness, it would be the safest thing to do. It might also be to your advantage to pickup a copy of a 1992 Mustang EVTM off of ebay...

EVTM is for Electrical, Voltage, Troubleshooting, Manual. They are usually about 20-30, and they are specific to the year and model.. They have the wiring schematics , and I have one for each vehicle I own. Use it once and it's paid for.

Example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bishko-OEM-Repair-Maintenance-Shop-Manual-Bound-for-Ford-Mustang-Evtm-1992/272509543575?fits=Year:1992|Model:Mustang&epid=3014138139&hash=item3f72d5a497:g:5mkAAOSwBgtZ1tNO:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Derald.

·
dreamer turned builder
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Is the donor the same year as your car ?? Having a donor wiring harness will be huge. Even though it is a lot of work to pull the dash and transplant the harness, it would be the safest thing to do. It might also be to your advantage to pickup a copy of a 1992 Mustang EVTM off of ebay...

Derald.
My car is a 92 and the donor is a 93. There are a few minor differences but it is mostly the same. I'll definitely be using the harness from the donor, no question there. And since basically everything works in the donor I can move over harnesses/components and make them work in the 92 shell.

Never knew about the EVTM, got it added to my ebay cart, thanks. That would have helped me figure out why the cruise control stopped working on the 92 back in the day.

Justin

·
dreamer turned builder
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Junkyard hood polished up nicely. I used a magic eraser to get the paint pen off, then did clay bar, 2 steps of machine polishing and some wax. Plenty of deep scratches in it but got some of the shine back. Still may run the cowl hood from the donor car but I wanted to get this one cleaned up anyway.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,164 Posts
That's correct, the EFI harness and dash harnesses differ every year from 90-93. Safest bet is to just swap all of the donor wiring over and you know it will all plug in, etc.

Keep sharing the progress!

Mark

21 - 40 of 77 Posts