Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're trying to find the exact size of our lot (there's been some discrepancies). We had a survey done several years ago and I have a copy of it. It doesn't give a total size - it has the dimensions. Our lot is irregular in that it's a pentagon. Does anybody know an easy way to figure this out? If I posted the dimensions, can somebody give me the total area?

I looked on the internet and the stuff I found wasn't real-life. Like they needed to know the angles or the points for the vertices of the shape. It's been too long since my Geometry class but I don't know how to go from a survey to what the formula wants.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Unfortunately, you'll need the angle of each corner. Your plat should provide that information.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, UK! Here goes:

If you're facing the lot, I'm going to start with the left side going back. Then the back-left, the back-right, the right, and finally the front. The front is actually a chord (we live in a cul-de-sac) but let's just treat it as straight.

Left = 390.38'
Back-left = 102.13'
Back-right = 246.67'
Right = 234.23'
Front = 34.45'

·
Premium Member
16,322 Posts
Wolverine,
I can give it a shot also. E-mail me at my profile address with the info. Put something obvious in the header so I don't just erase it as spam.

Cheers, Rod

·
Cobra Colorist
5,632 Posts
I GOT IT !!!! It's 3 :D ....oops, sorry, :( thats the licks to get to the center of a Tootsy Pop. I always get those two mixed up. :rolleyes:

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
Need a bit more than that, either 2 angles or the length across two corners - is that possible, or is that where you hit 'real world' problems :( ?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,086 Posts
Like UK said, need another piece or two of information to get the real area. Just estimating the shape of your lot, it could be anywhere from less than 30,000 to more than 55,000 sq. ft, or about .7 to 1.25 acre.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bat - LOL. That's what I got, too!!

UK - Yup, that's where the real world stepped in. However, I do have the latitude and longitude (at least I think that's what they are). Would those work? If so, here they are in the same order as the measurements above:

S 13* 44' 00" E
S 72* 24' 45" W
N 31* 31' 21" W
S 25* 35' 15" W
S 70* 34' 34" E

JasonD - That's probably why we have 3 different figures in our records - they all estimated, too!

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
Edit:

I think those figures are angles from a datum point, there isn't enough information for them to be lat long figures for each corner :confused:

[ July 06, 2004, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: UKCoupe ]

·
7,097 Posts
Here's what ya do.... get four 12 inch rulers. Connect them into a square. Place the square on the ground and spray some orange paint around it. Then repeat. Afetr you've covered the whole yard, count the orange squares! viola!!!!!!

Sorry but I learned a long time ago that public math can be very embarrassing! Just ask Jeff Miller! hehehehh

·
Snake Charmer
3,464 Posts
Wolverine - this is part of what I do for a living. Sending Survey Crews out to the field and drawing up the resulting plots.

I'll draw it up from your info and pm or email you the area.

UK - yeah your're right - almost - I think he's actually been on the thinners again .... cause I know it's 5 licks !!

regards
Doug I

any data you can give me on the chord ?

[ July 06, 2004, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Doug I ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was hoping for something pretty much right-on. If it's a real pain in the neck, you don't have to bother. I wasn't sure if it was easy and I just couldn't figure it out or if it really was tricky.

We've got 3 figures in our records - 1.1, 1.15, and 1.3 acres. Maybe a tenth or two doesn't really matter that much for when it's on the market. I just wanted to know what it really was.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Doug I - funds are a little tight right now. I've got this bridge I'm trying to sell but can't get the right buyer ;)

Let's see if this works...
Here's the link.

Here's the picture:

Thanks for your help. Please don't spend too much time on this if it's a real pain. As I said, I thought it was easy and I was just stupid. Maybe it's really not that easy unless you're way smart!

[ July 06, 2004, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Wolverine ]

·
Senior Charter Member
1,086 Posts
Wolverine- my vote is just over 1.17 acre. Let's see what the experts say.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,011 Posts
did an ACAD layout that looks pretty much like the plot, came out with an area of 49493.6' (1.13 acres)

Gratz

1 - 20 of 29 Posts