Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the Forte IRS adjusters in the mail and cannot figure out how they are attached to the control arms. The process as Mike described it over the phone sounded simple. So I was wondering if any one out there has some pictures of the process that could help me out. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
7,017 Posts
As I understand it you cut off the ends of the IRS and slide the adjusters in. The IRS arms also need to be drilled so a "Pin" (Bolt and Nut) holds the adjusters in place. The heim joints are screwed into the adjusters. That way you can assemble the whol thing and then adjust the width of the arms by spinning the adjuster in the IRS arm and then installing the pins when finished.

HTH,

David

PS Since you are in HB you can swing by my house and I'll show you how it works if you still need help in understanding the process.

·
Charter Member
584 Posts
Here's a pic of mine with the adjusters installed.

If I Had it to do it over again however I would only put the adjuster on the upper arm (camber adjustment) and the rear tube of the lower arm (toe adjustment). I would leave the hiem bung in the front tube and never adjust it once its set.

One other thing. Before cutting the hiem bungs off locate the rosette weld that helps hold the bung in place then cut the tube as close to the rosette weld as possible.

HTH

Mark

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
Could someone explain to me why these eliminate the need for spacers as well. 1. there may be track differences in the mounts left and right and you need to get the track perpendicular to the frame. 2. The heim joints are not parallel, so as you lengthen one you will move the location of the other on the bolt.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
I would recommend having a machine shop do the work.

I had Fortes do mine. If you dont drill the holes across the control arm perfectly square the bolt will go in in one location of the rotation of the tube, but when you rotate it 180 degrees it will not go thru. This will limit the adjustability and is just a bitch....How the adjustment will be accomplished is very important to explain to the shop. Even a hole on a slight angle will be a problem.

Mike:

I don't see how they could eliminate the need for spacers. I don't see how you could use them for both adjustments. If you try insanity would be the sure outcome. It is hard enough as it is.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I second having Fortes do the install, that's what I did and it's worth the $50.

·
Charter Member
584 Posts
I used my spacers. I had never heard that adjusters eliminate the need for the spacer.

I installed the adjusters myself BUT by the time I was done I wished I had Fortes do it. It does involve some nearly precision drilling and getting the end cut off square is kind of a pain.

Mark

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
Hey guys, this is what I am refering to:
"Description: Allows adjustment of the IRS suspension without removal of the control arms. Eliminates the use of shims......". I just don't see how that is possible.

Mike

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Stora:
Hey guys, this is what I am refering to:
"Description: Allows adjustment of the IRS suspension without removal of the control arms. Eliminates the use of shims......". I just don't see how that is possible.

Mike
Either do I. Without moving the shims as you adjust you'll be sideloading the heim joint.
You may not feel any bind but the pressure while be constant on one side of the joint.

From FFR web site-
"Note: Factory Five Racing does NOT approve the use of aftermarket IRS quick alignment adjusters."

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,726 Posts
When adjusting the lower arms, take the shims out at the rear inner mount and let the rodend float on the bolt.As the ends are adjusted for length, the distance between them changes.So get the rear alignment set and then install shims at the rear inner mount.BTW, I've only gone thru this twice on two friends cars but can't imagine doing it w/o these adjusters cause it's still a time consuming job with them.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
The adjusters merely eliminate the need to remove all the bolts to turn the rod ends. Shims are still needed and must be moved around during the alignment.

·
5,559 Posts
What I did was to make spacers that were equal on both sides of the front lower heims, and also on the upper ones. I put no spacers in the rear heims of the lower arms until AFTER I dialed in my alignment, then I just measured with calipers, and cut the appropriate dimensions that were needed out of steel tubing (or maybe aluminum, can't remember). I made my adjusters out of stainless steel before Forte's started carrying them, otherwise I would have just bought his rather than taking the time to make them. I agree with what someone else said about not bothering with the adjuster on the front legs of the lower control arms. Once your track width is set, you really will never touch those again. Maybe Mike should offer to sell the set cheaper for people only wanting a set of 4 adjusters instead of 6...

Brian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts