Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Actual builder now!
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK just because everybody needs a good laugh here is the latest at my own expense,

Last Thursday, a beautiful evening, I decided to take the Cobra to a local cruise in. Driving up a 4 lane road the car cuts out all of a sudden. Managed to get to the shoulder where it cranked but would not start. Finally I admit defeat and call the Auto Association for a tow. I'm informed that they are having a really busy evening in my area and it would be over an hour. Where I am is right before a traffic light so numerous cars stopped and commented that I had a nice car to which I replied, "thanks. I like it more when it is running though". I play games on the phone, stroll up to the light and have a conversation with the woman begging for change and I lean against the speed limit sign for a loooong time. Finally CAA sends me text that help is on the way but will be another half hour.
Nothing to do I finally remember to turn the key and listen for the fuel pump. No sound. Aha! The pump is relatively new though. Banging on the tank does not help. Then I remember that the last time I took the ride of shame we needed wood planks to get the car onto the CAA flatbed. So I call a buddy to ask if he will bring some should the tow truck not have any. He says sure and listens to my tale. Then he says, "it happened after the railway tracks? Are you sure it isn't just the inertia switch?". Open the trunk, find the switch, Click! It fires right up... just as the tow truck arrives. Seems a golf umbrella that I carry in the trunk must have slid over and hit the switch. Sigh.
Upon relating this story to my morning coffee group one guys says I should have pulled out a paperclip and held it up when the tow truck pulled up and just said. "It's OK. I got it"

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Thanks for that. I also have an inertia switch in my trunk. The trunk is filled with all sorts of junk that could possibly hit the switch.

·
7,716 Posts
Crown Vic's have the same inertia switch on the left side of the trunk. Had one pop on us in the middle of a pursuit. Luckily the secondary unit continued, I jumped out, reset the switch (because my partner had NO IDEA what I was talking about) and we took over as secondary. Caught the guy too!

·
Charter Member
64 Posts
In my all of classic cars that have been converted to EFI I use the inertia switch as a theft deterrent. Anytime I have to park outside for the night, just tap it with wrench or screwdriver. The crooks would not think to look for it, and wouldn’t no where to find it so this might slow them down long enough that they give up!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Crown Vic's have the same inertia switch on the left side of the trunk. Had one pop on us in the middle of a pursuit. Luckily the secondary unit continued, I jumped out, reset the switch (because my partner had NO IDEA what I was talking about) and we took over as secondary. Caught the guy too!
Hey good to see another LEO on here! 👍

·
Snake Farmer
10,382 Posts
That switch us actually something I wouldn't think of right off the top of my head. I have never had it trigger in over 10 years of driving. I figured it would take a pretty good wallop before it would trip.
Can they get weaker, like a 120 v house breaker, where the more times they are tripped, the faster they trip?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts