Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Ford Racing clutch quadrant, M-7583-A? I slipped it on the pedal and it's a bit looser than I would like. There's enough clearance in the two holes to rock the whole thing back and forth. I'd like to avoid having slop in the clutch pedal and on one hand if there's tension in the cable it may not be a problem but on the other hand I might just be a picky bastard.

Any experiences out there? I'm thinking of threading the pegs on the pedal, then with some shim washers I could hold the quadrant in place with nuts so it's less likely to move. Either that or drill the holes out a bit more so I can make up a bushing.

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
22,172 Posts
I used it and had to put some washers behind and in front of both posts. With the right washer combinations it tightened up real nice. No slop now. I even used the cotter pin to hold it on.

Here is the best pic I have of the setup. Hope you can see enough detail.

Greg

·
Junior Charter Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Greg, so with the washers you were able to put enough pressure on it to stop the rocking? I'm not so worried about moving back and forth on the shaft a bit, but if it rocks (into and out of the page as referenced to the picture above) I think it will add a bit of slop to the pedal feel. As much as I can I'm trying to build this car Miata tight, at least in the suspension and controls departments.

·
22,172 Posts
Yes, with right combination it's very steady. Today I took a couple of pics of the washers. I bought them from Lowes and had to enlarge the ID on some of them to fit over the shaft. The thickness was perfect. I aslo used a black rubber washer behind the left-most end of the quadrant and used part of the old pastic quadrant as a standoff. You can see it in the photos on the left side.

PM me with any more ?s.

Greg

·
3,760 Posts
Greg, when viewed from the side, does the cable rub against the upper portion of the firewall adjuster cylinder? The one I've got does, and if the FMS part eliminates that I might switch to the one you're using.

Thanks in advance.

AJ

·
22,172 Posts
Mine is exactly centered in the adjuster. I bought it from Max at 5-Star with the quadrant. Keep in mind that rubbing may be a function of the pedal box. I'm using one from a 2000 or 2001 Stang. It's smaller than the earlier ones.

Greg

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,159 Posts
AJ, I had to make a wedge behind the adjuster to get it to line up. But you bring up a good point, Are there different size quadrants?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts