Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in installing the new Ford flat-plane-crank engine in my MkIII FFR Roadster.
Does anyone have any guesses as to how it might fit?
I have the 2003 Mach1 4.6L in my car. Is the flat-plane any bigger?
Will the engine need to be modified to fit, like with a dry-sump?
Will the whole engine and transmission package fit in an FFR frame?

·
Lurker/hopeful
577 Posts
Good luck with that. The motor has only been announced for the GT350, the car isn't available yet.

I would imaging that it will be a fairly standard Mod motor, and it'll be the same size as the Coyote.

·
6,306 Posts
It's going to sound funny too in case that matters to you.
Frank

·
8,167 Posts
Figure on new crank and cams at a minimum. Possibly new rods. And a new ECU or at least a tune that changes the firing order. I think by the time you add up the $$ you may not like the idea so much.... :eek:

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Figure on new crank and cams at a minimum. Possibly new rods. And a new ECU or at least a tune that changes the firing order. I think by the time you add up the $$ you may not like the idea so much.... :eek:
Sorry you can't just turn a standard engine into a Flat Plane V-8. The block and everything is different.

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
I'm assuming the OP was going with the assumption that it will be offered as a crate engine. If it does, it would make a great sounding cobra. Lot's of speculation on the net about it but we'll see. If available, it will fit without significant issue as long as you are running an IRS.

·
8,167 Posts
The block ....................... is different.
You're going to have to explain that bit.

If a single crank throw plus rod and piston can rotate within the block why does it matter what phasing the individual throws have relative to each other. Yes the crank is different, yes the couterwieghts and balancing is different but why can't a single plane crank fit inside of a block designed for a cross plane crank?

·
Junior Charter Member
2,087 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Isn't it like a pair of in-line 4 cylinders sharing a single crank?

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,146 Posts
With true 180 phasing it will sound like a race 289 with 180 bag of snakes exhaust header.

GT40, Pantera, Indy racer, etc.

For some of us, it will sound right instead of the defective out of time sound celebrated on Main Street every Saturday night. ; ) Its a matter of what you grew up with.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Isn't it like a pair of in-line 4 cylinders sharing a single crank?
Think Ferrari Boxer x 2/3, Porsche + 2, VW x 2 or Subi x 2. Flat plane normally means the cylinders are horizontally opposed with the crank in the middle.
Ferrari version:

Fairbanks-Morse actually has a flat plane diesel with vertically opposed pistons with the combustion chamber in the middle, cranks on top & bottom.

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
Think Ferrari Boxer x 2/3, Porsche + 2, VW x 2 or Subi x 2. Flat plane normally means the cylinders are horizontally opposed with the crank in the middle.

No, it does not mean that. It means that the crank journals, not the cylinders, are 180 degrees apart.

Any V8 can be a flat plane by changing the crank and all the other things that spin inside. The first batch of "stock block" IRL engines were modified to flat plane and were noisy as a freight train.

Here's the new GT350 engine, very similar to a Coyote

·
Registered
91 Posts

No, it does not mean that. It means that the crank journals, not the cylinders, are 180 degrees apart.

Here's the new GT350 engine, very similar to a Coyote

Thanks for the details.....the best explanation I have read.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,087 Posts

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
All NASCAR, Champ Car, F1 and Australian Supercar engines are flat plane.

·
8,167 Posts
NASCAR used to regulate cross plane cranks but who knows these days. For some undisclosed reason the NASCAR rule book is not publicly available. One of my neighbors is an engine builder for a major NASCAR team. I'll see if he can shed some light on the current rules.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm less interested in what the flat-plane crank engine sounds like (relative to period-correct sound) and more in how the engine performs. My understanding is that it has the power of a V8 but the shorter spool-up time of an I4 because the two cylinder banks act like two separate I4s.
Perhaps it will be difficult to modulate an engine with shorter reaction-time, but the theory is intriguing.
My car is fitted with IRS, although I'm not sure why this relates to the fit of the flat-plane Ford engine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts