Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning my order for a MKIII roadster. I was originally going to buy a 460 crate engine. But with the availability of the DOHC's coming around I just think it would be awesome. But...hear are my concerns:

1. Will the DOHC with a Eaton supercharger (03 cobra engine) fit under the hood of the FFR roadster?

2. How will the DOHC engine sound through side exhaust? -Personally I was going to use the TRISTATES--Cooks type headers because it is more of a true muffler than the glasspack style FFR. I AM WORRIED THAT IT WILL SOUND CRAPPY! (with either side exhasut system).

3. How much will the PRO-Wire-Diet cost to corretly prep the wiring for this car?

4. Since I want to go with the 03 cobra engine, where am I going to mount the HEAT EXCHANGER? I'm thinking I can mount it where most people put the oil coolers in the nose of the Cobras. -what do you guys think?

Side Note: I just sold my 03 mustang Cobra. I can atest to the awesome power this engine had in my 3600lb car. I also had aftermarket exhaust on my 03 Cobra. The sound is "different," but cool. I just don't know how it will sound though side exhaust.

I know a few FFR roadsters are running with the N/A DOHC's---so has anyone heard them run.--How do they sound and what side exhasut did they use?

Thanks, Dan

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
Originally posted by FordManDan:
I am planning my order for a MKIII roadster. I was originally going to buy a 460 crate engine. But with the availability of the DOHC's coming around I just think it would be awesome. But...hear are my concerns:

1. Will the DOHC with a Eaton supercharger (03 cobra engine) fit under the hood of the FFR roadster?
Dan... go for it!
As Larry has shown, the Eaton supercharger should fit under the FFR hood

2. How will the DOHC engine sound through side exhaust? -Personally I was going to use the TRISTATES--Cooks type headers because it is more of a true muffler than the glasspack style FFR. I AM WORRIED THAT IT WILL SOUND CRAPPY! (with either side exhasut system).
we don't know yet...especially with the whine of the supercharger, should sound awesome.

3. How much will the PRO-Wire-Diet cost to corretly prep the wiring for this car?
Roger Stine will do the wiring diet on both my 03 Cobra and 03 GT and will consider all the trouble of the diets, (we intend on fitting both setups (DOHC and SOHC)) and then he will see how much to charge for his services.

4. Since I want to go with the 03 cobra engine, where am I going to mount the HEAT EXCHANGER? I'm thinking I can mount it where most people put the oil coolers in the nose of the Cobras. -what do you guys think?
here's my take on this: If you are going to install the same Power Brakes/Power Steering setup as the 03 Cobra into the FFR you will need to have an Oil Cooler for it (the 03 Cobra has an Oil cooler AND an Aftercooler for the supercharger), IF I keep the power brakes/power steering the Oil Cooler needs to be where the usual oil cooler are on the AC cobras and I was planning on making brackets for the aftercooler and install it behind the radiator but at an angle so it gets cool air, (I also need to make more brackets for mounting the Supercharger Coolant pump), of course if you delete the power brakes/power booster (hydrobooster) setup, then you can put the aftercooler in place where the oil cooler was supposed to be.

Side Note: I just sold my 03 mustang Cobra. I can atest to the awesome power this engine had in my 3600lb car. I also had aftermarket exhaust on my 03 Cobra. The sound is "different," but cool. I just don't know how it will sound though side exhaust.
I'm also anxious to find out how the 03 Cobra mill sounds thru a less restrictive exhaust.... we'll see

SERGIO

I know a few FFR roadsters are running with the N/A DOHC's---so has anyone heard them run.--How do they sound and what side exhasut did they use?

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
901 Posts
Just to keep the conversation going, here is my project as of today. Just put it back on the ground. Getting ready to go to Knott's. I think I am down to the short list of frame mods (done about 20 so far) Hope to tear it down and prep the frame after Knott's. Then I can start the build.
By the way, made my own exhaust. Verrry long side pipes with 32" of perferated core. Also used a cross over pipe. I want it quiet.

Dan Ziol

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dan Z,

Do you have more picture (closer views) of your DOHC sitting in the engine compartment? Also, what were some of the biggest PITA moments installing / fabing this set-up? Did you do a wire diet? Have you started it? If so, how does it sound?

P.S. With out a restictive exhaust (ie,converters) good luck keeping it quiet. It might idle quiet, but DOHC's tend to me very high pitch loud at higher rpm.

--Dan

·
FFCobra Fanatic
905 Posts
Newest to oldest posts below, but first a couple pictures as I just got it to a stage that I would consider 'finished' (still have a *long* list of things to do, but nobody except me will notice):

Oct - '03...

Dec - '02...

Sept - '02...

Hope to see more of you DOHC guys - I need some company out here! :D

[ April 18, 2004, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Ed Hubbard ]

·
Registered
901 Posts
Sergio,Dan. I want to hear it run soooooo bad but am still a long way off. Since I am running the factory wireing there is no simple way to test fire the engine. I don't want to spend the time just to do that. When you ask what the biggest PITA is/was I have a hard time answering. This project is intended ot give ME a platform to DO MY THING. Since I do all the work myself, it sometimes seems slow.
For you special 4.6 people at Knott's, I will have a CD copy of all my pictures (about 200)
I am not saying that my way is the best, and in some ways what I have done is aenal, but the beauty of this car-forum-FFR is the respect and knoledge from youall.
Look forward to seeing you guys at Knott's
D Ziol

·
Charter Member
450 Posts
FordManDan,

Sound....I have been around Panoz World Challange cars and Panoz GTS cars in racing conditions. The PWC cars have the 4.6 32V engine and the GTS has a Ford 351 making about 435HP. Both run the same mufflers (racing, straight through type under 98 db) and exit the side of the cars just like the "Cobra". The sound is only different when the 4.6 hits over 6000RPM. Up to that point there is not much to notice sound wise between them. As to the FFR cars with the same small block engines they sound about the same as the Panoz cars.

Farra Snook's blower is made by Autorotor but may be from Kenne Bell

Sounds like your going to have quite a project on your hands. Best.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
905 Posts
See HERE at the bottom of the page. Also, you can go to AutoColorLibrary.com (very good site) to look at a chip:

Go here, choose 1986 Porsche!

You can see that the code is L33P (PPG) and is called Iris Blue Poly.

I have never seen Todd Buttrick's car in person, but the pictures I saw inspired me to go for this color. SRP could never figure out the paint code we got from Todd's painter(?) but I think this color turned out just as good and now we all have a code that works.

BTW, this is also very close to Carolina Blue which I'm *VERY* fond of as I went to grad school at UNC-Chapel Hill - GO HEELS!

[ April 19, 2004, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Ed Hubbard ]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts