Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I tried this before and got nothing but grief because people didnt read or half read the post. I AM NOT going to use a V6 in my cobra but, I am considering using a SN95 v6 as a donor for everything but the engine/trans and rear since i already have the Lincoln that will donate the DOHC 4.6 and IRS and I can pick up a t-5 somewhere along the way. It seams that anyone that has a mustang that has or had a V8 thinks its worth a fortune even if its junk (at least in my area) but you can pick up V6 cars all day long for a couple hundred bucks. My question is have any of you used a V6 donor and had any luck. Have you found any differences between the V6 and V8s that I should know about? As far as I can tell the front spindles and brakes, steering, fuel tank and lines are the same for the GT and the V6. The fuel pump is different but its no big deal to get a V8 pump. What about radiators, fan shrouds and upper steering column? What about the brake booster and pedal boxes? Did the V6s usually have ABS? Has anyone done this a regretted it or found that going non-donor for the rest of it would have been a better choice?

·
Ohio C-car Club
3,686 Posts
I can help answer some of your questions. I understand the V6's used the same spindles and suspension parts. I believe the GT/V8 got upgraded brakes though...not 100% certain on that but when I had an '06 Mustang V6 this was the case vs. the GT/V8 'stang.

You will want to find a T-45 or TR-3650 transmission, as the T-5 won't bolt up to the 4.6L modular block. The conversion is easy, use a GT V8 (96 and up) 6 bolt manual transmission flywheel and clutch kit. You also need the pilot bearing and the items for the transmission (clutch release arm, etc.).

If you are getting the engine an IRS from a Lincoln, stick with the Lincoln aluminum radiator and two speed fan/shroud. It's a better unit then the V6 or V8 mustangs.

I'm no help on the PS or PB/ABS as I have a complete kit and this all came with my package (all manual set-up's)

Scott

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will want to find a T-45 or TR-3650 transmission, as the T-5 won't bolt up to the 4.6L modular block. The conversion is easy, use a GT V8 (96 and up) 6 bolt manual transmission flywheel and clutch kit. You also need the pilot bearing and the items for the transmission (clutch release arm, etc.).

Scott
So you have to use a t-56 or TR3650? i was hoping to use a T-5 (less synchro problems and strong enough for the weight of our cars not to mention cheeper) I know about the 6 bolt flywheel and new pilot and TO bearings are a no brainer. Im thinking finding a trans with the arm shouldnt be a problem but if it is I cant use the one from the V6 trans?

·
Senior Charter Member
391 Posts
For the most part, the 94-95 mustangs were the same mechanically between the V6 and V8. The brakes are the same from the V6 to V8, with the exception of the cobra, but you would be better off finding some calipers from and 99 and up mustang which will be the 2 piston aluminum calipers as opposed to the heavy case Iron single pistons on the older ones. The rear axle is different, but that won't matter to you. Some had ABS some didn't. I have a little experience with this, as I took a 95 V6 auto, and swapped in a V8 manual trans from a parts car. The radiator and fans were the same between them. The actual wiring harnesses are a little different as the V6's were switched to the EEC-V while the V8 were still using the EEC-IV controller. If you have any other specific questions, let me know and I can try to answer them.

Ryan

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
It's my understanding as well that the syncro problems you speak of were in the TR-3550. The TR-3650 is the updated version and so far I haven't heard of anyone having problems with it. It is still used in the current GT Mustang at least so finding one shouldn't be an issue. As far as the brakes and ABS, the v6 sn95 used a vacuum booster and sometimes came with ABS sometimes not. The vacuum booster on those may or may not fit the FFR frame if you use the Whitby's frame mod or mod it yourself. The Hydroboost that is so popular with these setups for the small size of the unit came on the V8 Mustang for the same reason - to save space due to larger engine physical size. Also everything I've researched says the V8 Mustang received dual piston brake calipers up front vs. singles on the V6. As far as the ABS systems you would need to have a Ford dealer cross reference the ABS pumps to see if the part numbers are a match. If they are not this could also complicate things with the spindles/hubs if the ABS reluctor rings may or may not be the same size/tooth count. I do know that all 4 ABS sensors and the 2 reluctor rings on the rear diff of the MKVIII are the same as the V8 Mustang setup so it's just the front hubs that will be in question. Not sure on any other issues as far as using a V6 donor, but when in doubt you could always have your local Ford parts dept. cross reference things for you.

Dave

·
Senior Charter Member
391 Posts
Other than the cobra brakes, the dual piston front calipers didn't show up till 99 on both the V6 and the GT models. Even then they all used the same calipers for both models. so from 94-98 both the V6's and GT's used the iron single piston caliper, then in 99 they switched to both using the aluminum dual piston.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if I plan on upgrading to dual piston calipers and hydroboost and can use lincoln cooling parts it is sounding more and more like I should non-donor it and find a pedal box, a trans from a 4.6 sohc, tank, steeping column and rack separately or try and find a 4.6 sohc donor for cheep. Anyone got one thats wrecked or has no motor???

·
Ohio C-car Club
3,686 Posts
You don't need any parts from the steering column, the kit comes with everything you need for the full steering, minus the steering rack if you are doing a power rack. If you do manual, save yourself the trouble and just get the Uni-Steer rack that is sold through FFR, or any of the other vendors.

You might look into a "partial" donor palette from MPS or Cyprus.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's my understanding as well that the syncro problems you speak of were in the TR-3550. The TR-3650 is the updated version and so far I haven't heard of anyone having problems with it. It is still used in the current GT Mustang at least so finding one shouldn't be an issue. As far as the brakes and ABS, the v6 sn95 used a vacuum booster and sometimes came with ABS sometimes not. The vacuum booster on those may or may not fit the FFR frame if you use the Whitby's frame mod or mod it yourself. The Hydroboost that is so popular with these setups for the small size of the unit came on the V8 Mustang for the same reason - to save space due to larger engine physical size. Also everything I've researched says the V8 Mustang received dual piston brake calipers up front vs. singles on the V6. As far as the ABS systems you would need to have a Ford dealer cross reference the ABS pumps to see if the part numbers are a match. If they are not this could also complicate things with the spindles/hubs if the ABS reluctor rings may or may not be the same size/tooth count. I do know that all 4 ABS sensors and the 2 reluctor rings on the rear diff of the MKVIII are the same as the V8 Mustang setup so it's just the front hubs that will be in question. Not sure on any other issues as far as using a V6 donor, but when in doubt you could always have your local Ford parts dept. cross reference things for you.

Dave
I here the t-45 and the tr3550s had synchro problems.

·
Ohio C-car Club
3,686 Posts
I'd find a 2003 or 2004 TR 3650. These were the best of the run. The 05 and up 3650 are complete different. The only common item is the front cover/bellhousing. The shifter on the new 3650's is mounted to the uni-body. For simplicity, find a TR3650, and the later years will be fine. Some of the early ones had a issue with the syncro's between 1/2/3 (I think).

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,732 Posts
There was a thread a couple of month's ago about someone who had about 20 NIB 3650's
looking to sell, I think they were in Ala.

·
Registered
1 Posts
STL scott quick question

I just wanted to ask someone who did the swap. I have a 4.6mark VIII and a t-56 (ford). Just to be certain a 96 up gt six bolt crank but which clutch? I hear 10.5 or 11 inch. I was looking at the Fidanza 2.1 any advice would be great I am aware I need a different pivot bolt if not already installed on the t-56. Thanks in advance and great project pictures by the way.
Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts