Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That Google Earth thing is unreal... its a lot to learn to use it, but when I start zooming in on stuff the picture get fuzzy not in focus , is that normal.. or is it something you can do to make it plane down to the roof tops.. just a guess, its starts getting out of focus about 3-4000 feet above the deck....

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
AL, I think that is common...only some areas have a detailed zoom. Ususlly they appear as a darker "box" which has greater zoom capability. Most of the major cities have it, but not all. The zoom only goes to a certain level. Check out the African continent... If you can see the little red airplanes they have a real small area within the larger area that had wome very fine detail zoom images. Just so you can contrast the two. Look closely at the village images... you'll see your goat! :D

·
Charter Member
2,132 Posts
Try the Colosseum in Rome, pretty cool. I really enjoyed flying through the Grand Canyon. How about making it live satellite!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Check out these too...

Eiffel Tower
The Pyramids
Your favorite sports stadium
Alcatraz island
Great Wall of China (I'm still looking for it)
The Great Redemer statue in Rio
Space Needle in Seattle
Space needle in Toronto (or whatever its called)
The Colosseum (spelling?) as mentioned above.
The Vegas strip
New York Skyline
Colorado River.. or any other
Grand Canyon
Copper Canyon in Mexico (bigger that the Grand Canyon)
Taj Majhal
Volcanos in Hawaii and elsewhere
Area 51/Groom Lake... fun finding it
Panama Canal

It doesn't really matter where you look.... its all incredible!

·
Premium Member
10,832 Posts
Al, the Google Earth program is very nice, but it wasn't intended for you to be able to inspect the condition of the shingles on your roof. The best policy is still to get a ladder and take a look first hand. :D

·
Premium Member
11,528 Posts
Not to promote another service or anything but check out www.virtualearth.com. I've found it to be more detailed and zooms in much closer. At least for the maps in my area. You can use your mouse wheel to zoom in or out as well.

·
Senior Charter Member
4,012 Posts
Ya just don't try to look at Apple headquarters using VE. Gee....why would it be omitted? :D
Also, using Google Earth, pick a tall landmark and fly around it as fast as you can or say the Grand Canyon and fly below the canyon's lip. I found my truck in 3 spots so far, at my house and 2 previous construction jobs.
JK Since it's a collage of satelite pics taken at different passes, expect some pics to be very recent while others are years old. Here in Phoenix two freeways 101 & 51 were joined 4 years ago, but it still shows them under construction. While my house shows plants in my nursery from less than 3 months ago....go figure :rolleyes:

·
Klingon Empire - Earth Outpost #23
811 Posts
The real tough question sweeping the undernet is: What is the blacked out military site on the Alaska/ Canada border next to the AlCan Highway?

No one and I mean NO ONE has an answer that makes any sense. All sorts of theory, and no reply from Google,except that it is a "national security" issue. Some folks see a tunnel mouth and tanks on the turnoff parking area.....its not clear.

Da Bear

·
Snake Charmer
3,464 Posts
check out Dallas airport - least I think it was Dallas. The satellite was tracking and imaging in the same direction as an aircraft departing the airport.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts