Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading about modifications to the MK4 footbox to allow more legroom. Is this possible and is there a kit or set of drawings to support this.

Sam

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Sam,

Yes, modifications to both footboxes are possible. I don't know of any patterns or vendor that sells them. Most footbox modifications have been custom built.

I chose the Ford 302 engine with Ford Racing Shorty Headers to allow me to move both the passenger and drivers engine side panel toward the engine.

Using the 4 into 4 headers on the Ford 302 will still allow you to enlarge both boxes. dv/dt, Rod's passenger footbox modification is an extra large one.

Do a search for footboxes with my GWL as it has been one of my favorite modifications. Try the Google search at the bottom of this thread, I understand it is better than this sites search engine.

The modular 4.6L or new 5.0L are much wider engines. I spent a lot of time going between the Ford 302 and modular engines and it came down to space and an easier engine to work on and understand.

I'll soon be getting back to work on my car and will be working on trunk modifications.

George

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Footbox mod.

I mostly see mods. involving the 302 engines. I am wondering if the 351W setup would allow the same ammount of work space.

I am tempted to try don's mod.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I am tempted to try don's mod.
I just visited Don's build page My Cobra Build - by Don Payne

Great work Don. Enjoyed looking at all the pictures and other details.

However, he is building a Mk.III or Mk.III.I and I don't think the detailed drawings will work for the Mk.4, which both Sam and you have.

I was lucky, and had an empty block with heads and header to set into place and work from. That would be my suggestion for you with a 351. I'm sure you can move both engine side panels but as you realize the heads on the 351 are up and out a bit more than the 302. As you enlarge one panel it affects others such as the floor, front panel and top panel.

MPTech,

I am retired but in the middle of replacing a wall and leveling the floor of a small cottage my wife and I just bought. Built in 1908 and has potential. However, I am replacing some of the original floor joists and beams with Microllam LVL's. I am working toward mid February to get back to work on the car. As I have said before, the modifications to my car are the most fun to work on. And of course seeing other ideas to work off of. As an example, Don had a great solution to the hydraulic clutch that he worked out.

George

·
We know what you're up to
4,700 Posts
Yeah, my sorry excuse for a build site is terribly out of date. That said, the footbox plans were for a 351w block, and I would have a hard time believing they would not work for a MK4. Mock it up and give it a try.

Cheers,

·
Registered
7,544 Posts
The pass. side foot box from Don's build definitely fits Mrk IV's. I helped MPTech bend up the panels for his, and they fit great. PM him and ask.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
The pass. side foot box from Don's build definitely fits Mrk IV's.
I don't know for sure but let's look at the shape of the front panel (Don's Back Wall) for the passenger side. On the Mk4 the top outside panel is flat whereas on the Mk3.1 it is slanted. That would affect the front panel shape. In addition, the outside panel of the footbox in the Mk4 is bumped out a bit further making the front panel different.

Here is a picture of my passenger footbox under construction. The open space on the left of the footbox is open. Note that it is flat there whereas the Mk3 is slanted down toward the outside of the footbox.

Here is the pattern I made for my front panel. Compare it with Don's front panel. He calls it the Back Wall and is the first panel in his pdf.

George

·
4,700 Posts
On the Mk4 the top outside panel is flat whereas on the Mk3.1 it is slanted.
This is true. Also note that every single panel is different so you will not be able to just swap out one panel here or there for one in my plans. The main goal was to make the footbox deeper (beyond the 2" tube) and to push the engine side panel in farther. I customized mine them one panel at a time starting with the bottom, outside, top, back/front, and last the inside panel. This way I was sure to get them to fit against their adjacent neighbors.

I highly recommend mocking it up in cardboard/posterboard before 'cutting steel'.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks

Hey this is all great stuff. I am also putting a 351 in my MK4. The footbox mod sounds like a good idea and mocking it up with cardboard is a must.

DON, how much extra room did you gain with your modification ?

·
FFR Bandit
407 Posts
Let me just say....
THIS MOD. IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!!!!

I had a Fab. shop spend three days making me panels, and at that I still had almost 5 hrs. into making it look good/ correct.

Don's temples are great, however they only extend, they do not widen.

Look for my next post....I will show the latest pictures.

Thanks to all for the ideas, input and pictures of their own.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Are we talking about the same plans? for Don's PS FB?

3 DAYS? And 5 hrs to make it look correct?
Rich and I only spent about 1 day, we don't do it for a living.

And it does widen the FB over 2". (toward the engine)
Are we talking something different?

·
FFR Bandit
407 Posts
Oh my god...
If everything that is written on this forum gets taken outa context...
Some people need some thicker skin around here.:glare:

Mine is bigger now than Mark s and Don s. Not because Dons was bad/wrong, but because I made mine my way!:w00t:

·
4,700 Posts
Mine is bigger now than Mark s and Don s.
Trying to compensate for something...:w00t:

Dude, talk is cheap. Let's see some pics! :)

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
You made some comments that I don't understand and I'm just trying to determine what the difference is.

Please explain why it took a fab shop 3 days. (And why you said "they are not for the faint of heart". This was my first aluminum fab and with Rich's help they turned out great! I think Rich is planning them for his MK3, if his Hooker headers clear)

Please clarify why Don's templates do not widen the FB (?) (they did for Don & I, and Rich's MK3)

Not trying to take anything out of context, trying to understand.
x2 Don, pictures would help.

If you have improvements, please share. THAT's what this forum is about.
Also, provide specifics about your build please. 302, 351, Mod motor, BBK, Hooker, shorties.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the mod

I thought old age and a neighborhood poker game were not for the faint of heart. I know about both and they truly ain't for the faint of heart. It seems that building a car like this is more for the journey than anything else. I am going to mock up an extended foot box and if it works i will build it. sheet metal is cheap. I can cut it with an exacto knife right ? LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts