Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
12,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been good threads on this subject. I cant find them in the search engine.

I have bought 2.5 inch hose from vintage air. ALSO,I bought what I call EYEBALL vents for 2.5 inch hose from ventage air. after getting them, they will be too restrictive of unblowered air flow. So, im gonna use the eyeball vents as part of the heater system.

Some one had slide vents that were for rv septic systems and another person had vents for wood chip removal. Can this be reposted??

THE EYEBALL Vent I ordered was...."2.875 x 2.5 CHRM IN DASH LOUVER 49053-VUL @ $8.00 each. THey look great. Later, Ill post what id did with them on the heater setup.

Got my body off for a few more days prepping and painting the skin. Got to finish all this vent stuff up in the next two weeks.

help.

earl

[ July 01, 2002, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: CobraEarl ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
871 Posts
I would like more information on this as well. I bought 2.5 inch hose from McMaster-Carr and 3-inch aluminum blast gates from Grizzly. I used some pvc pipe to join the two. The blast gates will be installed in the footboxes and I have some cheap choke cables to control the sliding blast gates. I plan on making fiber glass plenums to connect the hoses to the brake vents in front. I have been wondering if enough air will be forced through the hose to be of value. I am thinking of mounting 3", 12V muffin fans onto the blast gates, but that could be done after the car is completed. Anybody tried this yet?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,151 Posts
I'm using the Grizzly aluminum blast gates with 3" aluminum duct from Home Depot.

·
12,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My approach has been to go two stage on this project. Stage one, while the body is off do the venting and hoses that cannot eaisly be accessed with the body back on.

Step two, I plan to hook the unblowered hoses to the vents at the front and see just how this works. If im happy, ill quit. If I need more air, Ill put in a blower from West Marine. Will probably do this on the wifes seat any how. (when you are the passenger, you have more time to worry about how uncomfortable you are)
THe blower I intend to try from WEST MARINE..is a "Attwood, water-resistant turbo blowwer. 3" 145CFM 3.1 amp Model# 594002 at $25.99. This blower is a cylender/fan blower as opposed to a squirll cage type. THey are very neat in appearance and have mounting brackets THey look like they could be mounted to the back side of the F panel.

Look up "blowers" in your West Marine Catalogue. They have a lot of venting supplies.

earl

·
12,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Keiser:
I'm using the Grizzly aluminum blast gates <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the contact info for Grizzly??

Great PHOTOS. How do you intend to get the vent pipe thru the splash panel??

What are you using to support the hose??

Im assuming you have the vent set up so that the passenger simply reaches up there and slides it open or closed.

Earl

[ March 14, 2002: Message edited by: CobraEarl ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
871 Posts
Tom; How is your air movement?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
871 Posts

·
1,589 Posts

·
12,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stu Spencer:
you can get inline blowers at your local boat shop. JC Whitless also sells one: <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The West Marine unit looks just about like the whitney unit. But it costs 25.99 vs 65$ BUt it has no switch with it. THere is also a 19.99$ unit but ive seen no photo yet.

Product WM Model # MFG # Price In Stock? QTY
Blower IN Line 3'' 1896919 140 $19.99 YES
Blower, Turbo Bilge 3IN 594002 1733-4 $25.99 YES
Blower, Turbo Bilge 4IN 594010 1743-4 $28.99 YES
Blower IN Line 4'' 1896950 240 $21.99 YES

earl

·
12,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just ordered one of the inline blowers from West Marine (WM# 594002) it was only 25.99 for a 3 inch 145 CFM inline blower. with tax and shipping, total about 33.50.

ONE MORE POINT, after talking to Customer service at WEST, the Rule Blower (WM# 1896910) is only 19.99 on the internet. Looks like a direct sub for the one I bought.

If this unit does all it claims, 145 CFM, it will replace the air in my foot box every 2-3 seconds.

I plan to mount it on the F panel and let it extend thru the splash guard. THese units are waterproof. Photos LATER. Just got the one for my wife.

Also going to experiment with using thsi blower as a HEATER SUPERCHARGER. I could use MORE HEAT. If it works, ill get another one.

Earl

·
Senior Charter Member
1,151 Posts
Sorry for the delay, I had to go see one of those pesky customers who like to interupt My Forum time. As far as getting the vent through the splash panel, I'm just going to trim the panel around it. Support is via clamps made from bright galvanized strapping that comes in a roll from the plumbing department at the hardware store and are attached with tek screws to the 3/4" tube. You are correct about opening the vents, the blast gates have a steel slide door with a 90 degree bend to grab it by and a thumb screw to hold it in any position. As far as air movement goes, I have not gone fast enough to tell, the picture of the car was taken last weekend. I'm hoping that the open cockpit is going to help draw air through the tubes. Tom

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had a sheetmetal shop make two rectangular boxes with a hole/sleeve on the back. I attached them to the brake vents buy cutting two slots where the nose body bolts on. You loosen these bolts up and slide(jam) the 'boot' in then retighten the bolts. It works great. I also used the aluminum dryer vent hose. It not only is flexable and shiny but it can lengthen and shorten as desired. The hose is a little larger in dia. than the tube sticking out the vent box but just snip into it about an inch then cinch down with large hose clamps. I routed the hose into the front of the foot box. There I used the 'wood chip valve' with a heavy duty choke cable setup. To make the cable work I had to cut a 2" piece of 11/2" x 11/2" alum angle and rivet it to the foot box end. This is where you attach the clamp that holds the cable outer sleeve from moving. Iam planning to add the computer fans shortly.( been busy with 2 major car shows). Also I hole sawed the wheel splash guard about an inch from the top. This allows the rubber bulb some room. It is a very simple and easy to install system. If any of the accessory mfg. people are interested I will send them drawings and all info to complete so they can add it to their catalogue. Hope this helps, Don ;) ;) ;)

·
6,559 Posts
I went the economy route. I found both the hose and mounts at WalMart. They are in the automotive section in the RV equipment isle. The pieces are sewer drain components for RVs. Two 45 deg couplers and 20 feet of 3" line. About $30 bucks.

[ March 10, 2003, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: ToddButtrick ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
Todd,

What did you use to connect the hose to the front of the car? Anything that fit the shape of the brake cooling holes?

Does any of our cottage producers (Mike, Russ) making this part?

·
6,559 Posts
TNCobra,

For now I'm just going to hang them in front of the inlets. If you look, you can see that I attached an aluminum bracket between the upper and lower 3/4 radiator frame. I then riveted up a large hose clamp to secure the 3" hose. I'm thinking to form an aluminum scoop but the body is not here.

[ March 10, 2003, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: ToddButtrick ]

·
Charter Member
1,494 Posts
COBRA RESTORERS CARRIES MOLDED FRESH AIR INLETS IN THEIR ON-LINE CATALOGE FOR $99.00 PER PAIR. HAS ANYONE TRIED USING THESE? DRUMMERMIKE :D

·
12,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got my BLOWER in from West MArine yesterday. Hooked her up to the car battery. That thing will blow the chrome off a trailor hitch at 200 yards.

It claims to put out 140 CFM with a 3 ft 3" hose with one 90 degree bend in the hose and a louver grill over the end of the hose. THATS A LOT OF AIR.

WIth a 5" hose, No grill and the supercharging effect of the car going down the road, this thing should create a Herricane in My wifes Foot box..

Cant wait to get it mounted, the body back on and GET BACK ON THE ROAD..

Ill post photos when I get them.

earl

·
Registered
777 Posts
Earl,

You must be experiencing serious withdrawal symptoms
. It's going on what...three weeks now you've had the primered beauty torn down :D? Nice thread on fresh air vents. And quite timely for our build, too ;)

Thanks Earl.

Mike

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.