Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got the Ford scattershield, and found the starter doesn't like to fit in the hole?

Am I missing something or shall I just take sandpaper to it until it will just go in?

· Registered
4,193 Posts
Do you have the correct backplate? I remember when I did a switch from AOD to manual on my mustang the backplates were way different. Unfortunately, I forgot to pick up a maunal backplate and had to do some creative engineering.

How much are you off. If I remember correctly, mine was off 1-2 inches

· FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No no, not that much. It's in the right place, just the tolerance of the hole is way tight. I was just wondering if this is a normal thing or if I was missing something.

The starter gear appears to be in the right place.

· Charter Member
156 Posts
Hi:
I just ordered a FMS scatter shield M-6392-C. It is supposed to ship next week. Please post if you determine one way or another if it works. The freight is a lot.

Thanks
Mike

· Premium Member
9,127 Posts
Hi,
With all of the Tremec bellhousings and McLeod bellhousings I've sold I've never had a problem. I do know of problems when mis-matched parts are used. If you have any questions or needs I'll try to help anyone.
Mike Forte
Burlington, Ma
781-273-9900

· FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's in now. worked at the hole with some 40 and 80 grit sandpaper, beveled the edge of the plate just a little so I could get it started, then used the bolts and a hammer to get it seated.

The only downside is that the fit is so tight it is never going to come out without removing the housing and hammering it back out.

Thanks guys.

[ July 25, 2002, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Advil ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.