Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm swapping out the Victor Junior for a RPM intake and want to make sure I get the install procedure right. I have the recommended Ford intake gaskets M-9439-A50. The intake I took off did not have RTV around the water passages much to my surprise. From past experience, I will not use the china wall gaskets but RTV and use RTV on the water passages on the intake side of the gasket only not the head side. Torque to 10 ft pnds 1st then 20-22 ft pnds. to GT40 heads. Do I have this right?

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
Todd, if the "wall" gaskets are rubber, use em, if not, use silicone. Use a little smear of sealant on the water passages. Make sure to follow the torque sequence too, not just how tight they need to be.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
It may be better to torque down in 3 sequences 10-15-22 starting from a center bolt and working outward in criss-cross fashion. A re-torque after the first heat/cool down cycle can't hurt either. I think I did my V-jr. to 25#'s .

·
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with the 3 steps there JAM. The first diagram is the sequence I've used in the past.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have used RTV around the water ports with no problems. I have also seen where it distorts the gasket if too much was used. (I had torqued it to specs)HTH.
Sent you a PM.
Ed R

·
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like Aaron's suggestion of "a little smear". I think too much is not a good thing for your reasons Ed although I've seen engines with gobs oozing out of the intake manifold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts