Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
22,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the dipstick and my new crate FMS 302 has the correct oil level??? I thought these were shipped dry. The oil filter was bone dry when I removed it to install the 90 deg adapter. There was some oil in the lifter valley and around the valve springs.

What are other's seeing with their new motors?

Thanks,
Greg

·
3,997 Posts
Greg,

I had the same thing in my 392 crate. I believe they actually start them up to set timing and make sure everything is OK. At least that's what it waid with the info pamphlet that came with the motor.

Henry

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
My FMS 347 came filled with oil. They run all the crate engines to make sure they are assembled correctly. Mine came with a tag attached saying it was run for 20 minutes and some other info about oil pressure was listed as well. However, I am not sure if this means that the crank was turned for 20 minutes by machine or whether they actually had the engine fired up and running for 20 minutes. Anyone know?

HTH

Tom

·
OT Moderator
13,935 Posts
I had some water in my block and water pump on my new FMS392, so it seems as if they do run them. At least that is what the tag says.

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
22,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far all the replies have been from members with "high end" engines. I thought the high end engines were made somplace besides the Ford production engine plant where the 302 are stated to made on the normal production line.

The interseting thing though, GKCobra said his crate 302 was dry when shipped. Maybe they test a sample of engines from the line and mine was one? No evidence of any carbon on the exhaust valves or spark, plug-probably run on natural gas....

Greg

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
They run all but the stock, low-end crate motors at the factory for 20 minutes to check for leaks and insure they are in good working order. I've heard some people get them full while the factory drained the oil on others. Ford is so cheap, it wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the oil out of one to put in another for the 20 minute run :rolleyes:

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,123 Posts
I read the literature with my crate 302 and it had a warning stating 'This engine shipped with no oil'. I removed the pan, and boy did I get a surprise when it came off. Almost made a big mess. There were about 6 quarts of new oil in the pan...

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Mine had about 4 quarts of orange tinted goo in it. Obviously it was oil, but I've never seen anything like it. I put a Quality Roadsters oilpan on it, loaded in 6 qts and the dipstick read right on the full mark. wa-la!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts