Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what oil and coolant to use. Thank you everyone.

How about power steering fluid? I had the shop bleed the system out the first time. I never had to buy power steering fluid before or fill a system. I assume most of the fluid is in the rack.

As far a coolant I assume the radiator is full unless I dump the fluid. I used a pink european fluid last time. It seems this was unnessesary. A multiuse is fine. Is it ok just to mix the two? It is most of the pink probably out?

Jason

·
Junior Charter Member
768 Posts
Personally I use ATF in my power steer, mostly because having PS fluid on hand means one more bottle on the shelf.

For the cobra and my other older cars I use the good old green prestone coolant. Again it’s one less thing to keep in stock.

i have 4 cars that take 5 quarts of 5w30, an FL1a filter, green coolant, and ATF for both trans and ps fluid.
My new cars are a pain because they all take different specialty fluids in strange quantities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jhargrove

·
Registered
43 Posts
For the power steering, use whatever is recommended by the pump manufacturer or recommended for the model car it came from. I would expect most on here can use whatever is at the store either PS fluid or ATF. New cars take different fluids but thats not likely the case here.

For the coolant since you already have something not generic green, you need to know what you used and match that. Some of the different types on the market now if mixed with a different type of formulation (OAT, HOAT) will gel up in your engine and cause you a major headache. If you want to switch just make sure you flush the old stuff out well

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
DO NOT mix pink and green coolant, they aren't compatible. If you have aluminum radiator and heads, the smart move is to use DexCool, or any of the pink coolants. They are formulated to have superior protection for aluminum. There is a good reason all new cars have pink or orange coolant

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok.

I am sorry I am making this difficult. I just want to get it right.

All these I can get today

1. Valvoline 10w30 Conventional
2. Preston Power Steering fluid
3. Peak European Coolant.
I wanted to switch to green by this is what I used last time.

Attachments

·
Junior Charter Member
768 Posts
Stick with the same coolant unless you are going to do a major flush of the whole system

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Why did you use European coolant? I am not sure what that is compatible with. Hopefully someone here can help with that. The engine is most likely empty from the shop rebuild. I would flush the rad, hoses and heater if you have one, then use the coolant recommended by Rich
Don't use power steering fluid. I have had bad experiences with that stuff. It may not be compatible with Ford components. What pump do you have? If it's for a Ford then Mercon ATF is recommended.

Norm

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why did you use European coolant? I am not sure what that is compatible with. Hopefully someone here can help with that. The engine is most likely empty from the shop rebuild. I would flush the rad, hoses and heater if you have one, then use the coolant recommended by Rich
Don't use power steering fluid. I have had bad experiences with that stuff. It may not be compatible with Ford components. What pump do you have? If it's for a Ford then Mercon ATF is recommended.

Norm
I am sure the coolant was recommended. Idk. The rad is got some in there. I just bought the same stuff. The people that flushed and filled the cooling system last time used pink. For all the aluminum

The people that filled the power steering unit used power steering fluid it was fine I just did not know if there was different types. Seems as though there is not.

Thanks Norm

Jason

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is difficult for me.

Trying to simplify everyone advise

1. Oil Conventional 10w30
2. Coolant that matches what is in there. In this case any pink coolant
3. Power Steering fluid or ATF. Doesn't matter

·
Junior Charter Member
768 Posts
My engine builder said not to use synthetic oil for the first 1000miles.
Always listen to the engine builder!

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
23,618 Posts
On my 16 year old street driven car with 26K miles, I have always used Pennzoil 20W 40 and change it once a year or about 2K miles, for age not for mileage. I used Prestone red antifreeze (changed twice so far) and off the shelf power steering fluid (never changed and never added).

·
Registered
43 Posts
2. Coolant that matches what is in there. In this case any pink coolant
Not all pink coolants will be compatible. That Peak bottle says its a silica free OAT formula, so you need to make sure you always use an OAT coolant. It might be orange, or pink, or yellow, or whatever. You can get pink HOAT from a variety of manufacturers, which would cause a major gel problem in your engine and rad, so you need to make sure the bottle you buy says OAT formula on it.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not all pink coolants will be compatible. That Peak bottle says its a silica free OAT formula, so you need to make sure you always use an OAT coolant. It might be orange, or pink, or yellow, or whatever. You can get pink HOAT from a variety of manufacturers, which would cause a major gel problem in your engine and rad, so you need to make sure the bottle you buy says OAT formula on it.
This is what I use last time I was going to switch that's why I was an issue

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah I see that, I was just commenting on your note that what you need is any pink coolant, to make sure you know that not just any pink coolant is OK and in fact there are some pink coolants that would be a major issue. If you used that Peak you are in good shape because you can get that stuff everywhere so there is really no reason to change.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I see that, I was just commenting on your note that what you need is any pink coolant, to make sure you know that not just any pink coolant is OK and in fact there are some pink coolants that would be a major issue. If you used that Peak you are in good shape because you can get that stuff everywhere so there is really no reason to change.
Awesome thank you

·
Registered
125 Posts
As far a coolant I assume the radiator is full unless I dump the fluid. I used a pink european fluid last time. It seems this was unnessesary. A multiuse is fine. Is it ok just to mix the two? It is most of the pink probably out?
What engine. The Gen 3 coyote requires orange per ford.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts